ASWSU: Students present plans for Pacific Islanders Club event

Event features local restaurants, giveaways

KHOI VU

During family weekend, a maximum of 250 people can attend the Pacific Islanders Club event.

ALEXANDRIA BUCK, Evergreen reporter

Students spoke to ASWSU about the Pacific Islanders Club’s upcoming event during Family Weekend.

The event will be like a luau, where four different groups are able to perform, said Marc Armas, senior landscape architecture major. It is meant to help the Pacific Islanders Club showcase the different cultures WSU possesses in its community.

The event will take place on Nov. 13, so students, as well as their families, can experience campus life and performances from other cultures, Armas said. About 250 people will be allowed into the event.

Tickets are $7. The event will host giveaways as well, and local organizations will be selling merchandise, he said.

Dita Lamdjani, senior psychology and criminal justice double major and ASWSU director of student affairs, and Armas said local restaurants, like O-Ramen, Cougar Country Drive In and Pups & Cups Cafe, are just a few of the restaurants providing food. Crimson and Gray, the Administrative Professional Advisory Council, the Office of Multicultural Student Services and more will be sponsoring the event.

During the meeting, Sophie Mejia, a junior political science major, also was approved as ASWSU’s new assistant director.

Mejia said that she would be a great fit. Considering that she wants to go into law school after graduating from WSU, she sees this as a great opportunity. Mejia has been a part of a few different clubs that help her feel prepared and ready to work with a small, organized group.

She has worked very closely with the new Collin Bannister, director of Legislative Affairs, and is finding new ways to prepare ASWSU to bounce back after COVID-19, Mejia said. Many of ASWSU’s senators are new students, and she wants them to be ready.

“[We have] a fresh start, but we want to move forward and into good things,” she said.