Last week Jaden Hicks named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week

Hicks a part of strong WSU defense

KHOI VU

The Oregon offense and the WSU defense line up during an NCAA college football game, Sep. 24.

ALENA RINEHARDT, Evergreen reporter

The Pac-12 Conference office announced on Nov. 7 that WSU safety Jaden Hicks would be receiving the honor of Pac-12 Conference Freshman Player of the Week for his performance in the WSU versus Stanford game.

During the Stanford game that resulted in a 52-14 Coug win on Nov. 5, Hicks made six stops, recorded a quarterback hurry and recovered a fumble that he returned 17 yards for a touchdown. WSU has not had a fumble return for a touchdown since 2018 by Kainoa Wilson who jumped on a fumble in the end zone.

Hicks helped WSU’s defense recover four fumbles, leaving him neck and neck with last year’s Apple Cup total of five takeaways. It is also the most fumble recoveries since 2019 in Northern Colorado, which resulted in four recoveries.

Hicks will enter the week as second on the team and with his 58 tackles, No. 12 in the conference. He was also named to the Midseason Freshman All-America Team by College Football News. This is WSU’s second Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honor after running back Jaylen Jenkins received the accolade in October for his performance versus No. 6 USC.

WSU has had two players earn Pac-12 weekly honors, with kick returner Renard Bell earning special teams honors and left tackle Jarrett Kingston offensive earning linesman of the week after the win against No. 19 Wisconsin. Post win over Colorado State, linebacker Daiyan Henley was also named Defensive Player of the Week.