Four Cougs make Pac-12 All-Conference team 

Jehlarova, Timmer, Jansen, Ryan recognized for incredible seasons

WSU opposite Katy Ryan celebrates with her teammates after scoring a point during an NCAA volleyball match against UW, Nov. 25.

The offense of the 2022 WSU volleyball team has been spectacular. Both on an individual level and as a unit, the offense has been the focal point of the team.

Through their dedication and hard work, four WSU volleyball players have been recognized for all-conference teams in the conference’s postseason awards. 

Magda Jehlarova and Pia Timmer were recognized to the first-team and Katy Ryan and Laura Jansen were honorable mentions. 

“Those four especially have done an incredible job this year, we really have a balanced offense, which can sometimes hurt our team,” head coach Jen Greeny said. 

For Jehlarova, this is her fourth straight season being honored to the first-team of the Pac-12. First being named as a true freshman, the same year she won Freshman of the Year, she has not slowed down in her production and continues to improve.

In 2022, she led the Pac-12 Conference in blocks per set with 1.50, which was also a top-10 mark in the entire nation. Her total on the season was 168, firmly in second place in the conference and only three away from the top spot. 

She also ended the season sixth in the conference in hitting percentage, maintaining a mark of .386 for the season. 

She averaged 2.45 kills per set, the highest mark of her career thus far and finished with 274 kills on the regular season. 

Timmer was the second member of the first-team from WSU, this being her third season being nominated. 

She finished tenth in the conference in kills per set with 3.46 and finished with 381 total kills, which was 11th in the conference. She even finished with 0.34 service aces per set, which was ninth in the conference and first on the team. 

The first member of the honorable mentions was fifth-year transfer Jansen, someone who may have been snubbed from the first-team.

“I was surprised with Laura’s stats that she was not first-team,” Greeny said. 

Jansen led the team with 3.51 kills per set, which was good for ninth in the nation and her 390 kills were tenth.

She also had an impressive defensive season as her 230 digs with 30th total in the conference but fourth among players who tallied over 900 total attacks. 

The final member to be recognized was sophomore Ryan, who was a part of the all-freshman team in 2021. 

Ryan finished 15th in the conference in total blocks with 93 and 24th in the conference in total kills with 272. 

At 5 p.m. Thursday, WSU will take on UNLV in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, and the newly recognized All-Conference team members will be on full display.