The Student News Site of Washington State University

WSU fall sports excelling in the early part of season

Cougar sports teams have gotten off to a fast start this semester

Senior midfield Sofia Anker-Kofoed attempts a goal against CSUN on Friday.  The Cougars blanked the Matadores 3-0.

Senior midfield Sofia Anker-Kofoed attempts a goal against CSUN on Friday. The Cougars blanked the Matadores 3-0.

JESSICA HARJA | Daily Evergreen File

JESSICA HARJA | Daily Evergreen File

JACOB MOORE, Evergreen sports editor

Cougar football, volleyball and soccer combine for a record of 14 wins, two losses and one tie thus far. Volleyball leads the way with an 8-1 record, while soccer has four more wins than losses. Football is not only undefeated, but ranked 21st in the nation.

For the first time in six years, WSU football is going into week three undefeated. A complete 31-0 shutout of Montana State (0-2) gave Head Coach Mike Leach his first season-opening win with the Cougs.

Three overtimes, 21 unanswered points and a field rush capped a 47-44 comeback victory over Boise State (1-1) on Saturday. Despite the win, WSU dropped from No. 20 to No. 21 in the Associated Press’ top-25 week three poll.

Notable institutions ahead of the Cougars in the poll include No. 4 University of Southern California (2-0), No. 6 University of Washington (2-0) and No. 19 Stanford (1-1). In the division standings, eight teams are without a loss. Football is preparing for its first conference game this weekend, but not against an undefeated team.

The Oregon State Beavers (1-2) will visit Pullman for a 2:30 p.m. kickoff Saturday at Martin Stadium.

Soccer

Soccer has not lost a game or allowed a single goal in Pullman this fall, outscoring their opponents 10-0. Home games have sparked WSU as they’re jumbled up with multiple other teams in the Pac-12.

Head Coach Todd Shulenberger said this is the youngest soccer team going into the season, but it also might be the fastest.

The team’s only loss in 2017 came on the road against Santa Clara (2-4-1). That also happened to be the only game that WSU allowed their opponent to score in.

The season continues on the road at 6 p.m. Thursday night against Utah Valley (3-5).

Volleyball

WSU volleyball carries eight wins in the Pac-12 standings, good enough to tie for the best conference record.

Led by Head Coach Jen Greeny, the team is currently riding a season-high five-game winning streak. Unlike soccer and football, though, most of volleyball’s games have been outside Pullman. The team won just seven away games last year, but they’re already up to four in 2017.

Volleyball leads the conference in opponents hitting percentage (.121) and leads the NCAA in blocks per set (3.47).

The team will continue its season Friday against Tennessee State before competing in the Missouri State Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational later that day.

• WSU fall sports excelling in the early part of season

Cougars blast Nevada, stay undefeated

Thompson tackling opponents one game at a time

Mens

Cougs struggle at Golfweek Conference Challenge, finish ninth

Culture, toughness on the line for WSU

Oregon State stands in the way of WSU

Club Sports

Men’s soccer club ready to get the ball rolling

September a vital month for Cougar football

• Columns

Rypien’s homecoming squarely on his shoulders

Cougars eyeing first 2-0 start since 2011

Mens

Linton joins track and field coaching staff