Cougs to honor two seniors on Sunday

A veteran and a new face will be recognized

WSU forward DJ Rodman celebrates after shooting a 3-pointer during an NCAA basketball game against California, Jan. 11.

HAYDEN STINCHFIELD, Evergreen sports co-editor

WSU men’s basketball is not an old team. Many key contributors are sophomores, juniors or even freshmen. However, the two seniors are some of the best-known faces on the team.

On Sunday the Cougs have the last home game of the season, and so they will be honoring the seniors who are playing their last one in Pullman. 

The newer face of the two seniors is fan-favorite Jack Wilson. Wilson has not been with the basketball team for long, joining mid-season because he was also on the Cougar football team as an offensive lineman.

Standing at 6 feet 11 inches and weighing 115 pounds more than Mouhamed Gueye, who is the same height, Wilson is a true giant. His career has been a winding one. He was a four-star recruit out of high school in basketball and ended up playing at Oregon State and University of Idaho. 

He walked on for the football team here at WSU for three years, appearing in 25 games primarily on special teams. At the end of this recent football season, he joined the then-injury-riddled basketball team as a big body off the bench. 

While he has not had a chance to do much on the floor, he has become a fan favorite in his limited time. Multiple times this season Beasley has been filled with chants of “We want Jack” and cheers when he finally checks in late in big wins. Wilson will be honored as a student-athlete that gave it his all for years in multiple sports for the Cougs.

The other senior being honored has been a fixture of the team for a while now.

DJ Rodman came to WSU four years ago without a visit. He struggled as a freshman to find playing time but he stuck around and worked. 

Now, years after that freshman season, Rodman is a major contributor to the Cougs on both ends. Scoring almost 10 points per game and shooting 37% from three has cemented him as a shooter, but that is not all he adds. Rodman has hustle. It feels like every single loose ball on his side of the court ends up in his hands, and every time someone drives on him it is nearly guaranteed that he will at least try to make a play on the ball. 

Rodman is the engine that keeps the Cougs going, and his years here have cemented his name in WSU history. While he technically could stay longer, he has stated that he intends to graduate and either play professionally or pursue a master’s degree.

“Regardless of what he does next year, he’s given us an unbelievable four years as a guy who opted in without a visit,” coach Kyle Smith said. “Really wanted to be a part of this program and has really laid a great foundation and had a great career.”

Tip-off of the Oregon game is at 4 p.m. Sunday in Beasley Coliseum and the seniors will be honored at 3:45 p.m. on-court before the game. Senior Day will not be televised but fans can watch the game on FS1.