WSU indoor track and field team excels at Arkansas Qualifier Meet

Mason Lawyer breaks freshman record for 200m for second time

Then-redshirt sophomore sprinter Tierney Silliman (left) and then-sophomore sprinter Jordyn Tucker race neck and neck down the track during their 60-meter dash heat Jan. 19, 2019 at the Indoor Practice Facility.

ALENA RINEHARDT, Evergreen reporter

The WSU indoor track and field team earned five top-five times as well as three podium finishes at the Arkansas Qualifier meet.

Mason Lawyer took third in the 200-meter (21.13), breaking the freshman record (for now) the second time this season. With the accomplishments he has been making this season, he is now very close to breaking the program record.

Achieving their first heat win as a Coug, Louie Hinchliffe excelled in the 60m dash as well. Hinchliffe and Lawyer’s accomplishments at this meet led them both to advance to the finals. 

Ronald Grueso Mosquera also placed fourth in shot put (17.74m), competing against the Arkansas Qualifier meet record holder. He has now placed within the top four of every meet thus far.

Nana Gyedu also excelled at shot put (14.96m), taking the win and securing her streak of placing within the top three of every meet this season. 

Micaela De Mello competed in the 60m hurdles and placed fourth (8.29) and Jasneet Nijjar placed ninth (54.17) in the 400m and has now for the second meet in a row beat her personal best time. 

The WSU indoor track and field team will conclude their indoor regular season with the 2023 Pac-12 Invitational this weekend in Seattle and will also compete in the NCAA Division Indoor Track and Field Championships in March at the Albuquerque Convention Center.