Pullman apartment fire causes temporary evacuations

Two residents, one firefighter sustained minor injuries


The City of Pullman Fire Department and Pullman Police Department responded to a fire around 2:30 p.m. Sunday on the second floor of Kenwood Square Apartments, according to a City of Pullman press release.

Firefighters from Whitman County Rural District 12 were also called to assist in fighting the fire, which was caused by a lithium-ion battery that a resident was charging for their remote-control car while they were away, according to the release. 

Pullman and WSU police officers were able to safely evacuate all 40 residents of the apartment building, who were transported by a city bus to the Pullman Senior Center, where they were able to take shelter from the 35-degree temperature outside, according to the release.

The press release states that paramedics treated one resident for smoke inhalation at the scene, while another resident was later transported to Pullman Regional Hospital for reportedly experiencing breathing difficulties.

All residents were able to return to the apartment complex Sunday night, with the exception of the unit where the fire started, an unoccupied unit below that had water damage and the unit above that had some smoke damage, according to the release.

The residents of the unit where the fire started and the unit that sustained smoke damage were able to use two vacant apartments, according to the release.