Cougar soccer ties Montana in overtime

WSU did not allow a goal in a tie game against the Grizzlies

Freshman forward Makamae Gomera-Stevens outmaneuvers senior defender Ashlee Pedersen in a game against the Montana Grizzlies on Sunday.

Courtesy of WSU Athletic Communications

Courtesy of WSU Athletic Communications

DANIEL PARAMO, Evergreen reporter

Cougar soccer (5-1-2) began its conference play this season with a scoreless draw against Montana (5-4-1). WSU managed to out-shoot the Grizzlies 15-10, and 6-2 on goal, but despite this, they were unable to break through Montana’s defense.

The game drew out to double-overtime, the second 110-minute game of the year for Head Coach Todd Shulenberger and his team. Although they were unable to replicate their late win over Utah, the tie means the Cougars still have yet to lose in overtime (1-0-2) this season.

Freshman forward Makamae Gomera-Stevens gave WSU three shots on goal calling Montana’s goalkeeper into action often and put the pressure to answer on the Grizzlies.

“Montana is a tough team that is very well-organized and hard to break down, especially at home on a tough field to play on,” Shulenberger said after the game.

While playing at home, the Grizzlies have only conceded one goal this season.

On the other side of the field, the Cougar defense held the offense at bay, allowing just one shot to reach redshirt junior goalkeeper Ella Dederick. Their work led WSU to its seventh shutout of the season.

Dederick also earned her sixth shutout this year, and 13th of her career, tying her with Meghan Berlingo (2009-2010) for fourth all-time in program history. After resting out the game against Utah Valley, Dederick and the Cougar defense helped the team run its unbeaten streak to five games.

“We leave here on a positive note with a result,” Shulenberger said, “considering the circumstances we played under last match.”

WSU was forced to fight for a comeback at Utah Valley, and went into its second away game in three days with that win behind them.

With non-conference play now behind them, the Cougs turn their attention to Pac-12 play, and the home opener against No. 2 Stanford. The Cardinal will visit WSU, sporting a 6-1 record, after winning four straight home games in which they outscored opponents 26-0.

The game against Stanford on Sept. 21 will be the Cougs’ third against a ranked team this season.

• Cougar soccer ties Montana in overtime

Mens

Athlete of the Week: Robert Franks Jr.

Mens

Men’s basketball takes off on first road game

Week 11 Pac-12 North power rankings

Sports

Cougs beat Nicholls State by 17 points

Sports

No. 19 Cougars fall to No. 13 USC

Sports

Women’s basketball falls to Saint Mary’s

Cougars carve up Buffaloes 31-7

Sports

Cougar swim falls to Wyoming

Sports

Cougars grab first round NCAA Tournament victory over Montana

• Crime

Pullman PD releases video of Broughton arrest

Cougar soccer ties Montana in overtime