Transfers making an impact for WSU baseball

Jonah Advincula, Sam Brown and Cam MaGee are transfers important to WSU baseball’s success

WSU outfielder Jonah Advincula swings at a pitch during an NCAA baseball game against Seattle University, March 7, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

GABRIELLE BOWMAN, Evergreen news co-editor

The Divison I Baseball transfer portal has brought WSU players like Jonah Advincula, Sam Brown and Cam MaGee, who have vastly improved WSU baseball. 

The NCAA said they created the DI transfer portal to put into place better support for the sustainability of college sports.

Advincula originally played for Redlands University in California but transferred to WSU for his junior year. According to the 2023 Baseball Roster Stats, he currently has recorded 29 runs, 48 hits, 26 runs batted in, 13 doubles, two triples and four home runs. 

During his sophomore year at Redlands University, he was named to ABCA DIII All-West Region First Team, DIII baseball All-West Region First Team and All-SCIAC First Team. 

In the summer, Advincula played for the Corvallis Knights in the West Coast League and earned All-WCL Honorable Mention where he was eighth in the league in hitting. 

Brown originally played for Portland State University in Oregon but transferred to WSU his junior year and he currently has 28 runs, 43 hits, 37 runs batted in, 11 doubles, three triples and eight home runs.

As a freshman at Portland State, Brown was named freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball, All-West Coast Conference second team and All-WCC freshman team. In his sophomore year, he was named All-West Coast Conference Honorable Mention. 

Magee originally played for Arizona State University but transferred to WSU his sophomore year and he currently has 22 runs, 38 hits, 26 runs batted in, five doubles and two home runs. 

Brian Green, WSU’s head baseball coach, said with the portal there will be a massive shift in college baseball.

“Those guys and Magee have been outstanding,” Green said. “They really mesh with our culture and I think that’s why you’re seeing those guys have some success.”

The transfers are now settling down into the WSU atmosphere shown by their scores with the Arizona series. 

Advincula scored two home runs, four hits, two doubles and recorded three putouts. Brown scored one hit, one run batted and had eight putouts. Magee scored one run and one home run. Advincula scored the most home runs in this series.

When it comes to WSU, Brown said he loves being here even though the weather can be a little iffy. 

“I knew a lot of the players already, I talked with [head coach Brian] Green. I liked the way the program was, I decided it was the place I wanted to go,” Brown said in a Daily Evergreen Article.

The transfers work and progress while being on the team have not gone unnoticed.

Green said specifically that Advincula has really started to ramp up well as a valuable player.