PHS soccer lifts Greater Spokane League trophy

Greyhounds go 10-0 to win Conference

Pullman’s boys soccer Seniors, who were recognized for their time after win against. Shadle Park, May 2.

JOSEPH RUTO, Evergreen reporter

The Pullman High School soccer team had senior night Tuesday, and senior captain Lucas Wexler scored a goal to lead Pullman over Shadle Park.

The Greyhounds (14-1) won the game 3-0, with a goal from Wexler and a goal each for juniors Kai Hirose and Evan French.

The opening goal of the day came right after halftime when Wexler received the ball inside of the Shadle Park penalty box. Wexler controlled the ball with his right foot and make a player miss with his quick footwork. He then managed to slip the ball past the goalie into the bottom right corner. 

Seeing the ball go in, Wexler ran towards the corner flag and hit the famous Cristiano Ronaldo celebration, the siuu. 

After a goalless first half, the Pullman High School student section chanted Wexler’s name as the Greyhounds ran back to kick-off.

Nine minutes later, a penalty was awarded to Pullman after a player was shoved inside the penalty box. French stepped up, and calmly placed it into the back of the net to make it 2-0.

The final goal of the game came in the 65th minute. Pullman had possession inside Shadle Park’s half, and after numerous saves by Shadle Park’s goalie, Hirose’s shot from inside the box took a deflection off a Shadle Park defender and landed in the back of the net.

After making it 3-0, Hirose celebrated by turning to the crowd and shushing them, an iconic soccer celebration.

Pullman High School honored seniors Awadh Mohamed, Clay Johnson, Michael Campbell, Carlens Dollin, Phillip Kirchhoff, Lucas Wexler, Scott Sagan and Marcelo Romera after the win. 

The Greyhounds lifted the Greater Spokane League trophy after a 10-0 undefeated Conference season.

“While what these boys have done this season is awesome, we don’t want to be celebrating on this field too much,” said head coach Doug Winchell after the game. “We got four more games coming up, from here on out it’s win or go home.”

For these seniors, being able to play high school sports is not something they take for granted.

“They had it a little rough,” Winchell said. “The way their first year they didn’t have a season due to COVID, the next year they played eight games and then last season they had a pretty decent season.”

As the Greyhounds honored their eight seniors after the game, Winchell spoke about how even though their first two seasons were cut short, the Pullman High School soccer program has been moving in the right direction.

“We’ve got a lot of kids playing, which is good for the program,” Winchell said. “For the first time in our school’s history, we were able to have three teams.”

While the future for the program may be bright, the Greyhounds host their first playoff game of the season at 4 p.m. Monday, at Pullman High School.