How To Attend a WSU Football Game

Everything you need to know for a successful gameday
HAILEE SPEIR
Butch T. Cougar crowd surfs in the student section during an NCAA college football game against Oregon, Sep. 24.

As a student, attending a WSU football game can be an intimidating task. While it may seem like a lot to figure out, the process is quite simple for a student and it’s a great time. 

The first step to attending a game is to get tickets and figure out seating. The school made getting tickets convenient by allowing students to purchase one sports pass that will admit them to every athletic event for that given year. 

The sports pass can be utilized by students by swiping their Cougar Card at the sporting event. If a student does not have a sports pass, individual tickets can be purchased on the WSU athletics website, as well as other ticket vendors. 

Seating for students is general admission, therefore, it is a first come, first serve environment. Buying tickets outside of the student seating can allow for more preference in the area that one can sit, as well as the potential for more amenities. To get the most out of the sports pass, arriving early to any sporting event is best. 

The second step is to figure out what to bring to the game. The weather in Pullman can vary from extreme heat, all the way to snow. This means it is imperative to check the weather before the game as this allows for decisions to be made on what to wear and what accessories may be needed to fight the conditions. 

The weather can certainly change in an instant, so it does not hurt to pack extra clothing and accessories. 

Martin Stadium has a clear bag policy, so all fans that bring bags will need to make sure they are see-through. 

A variety of concessions are served at the game and outside food and drink is prohibited.  

The third step is to find transportation to the field and/or parking. This could be via walking, public transportation, personal transportation, or safe rides (such as an Uber/taxi). Walking from an apartment or student housing to the stadium is achievable and a preferred method by students. There are walkways and paths that go directly to the stadium, and they are very safe. 

Public transportation in Pullman is extremely user-friendly. There are buses that run through campus and the city throughout the day. 

To get a ride to Martin Stadium, or any of the other athletic venues, one must find the bus routes and stops via the City of Pullman website. From there, one will be able to sync a bus stop with a route to get to the event on time from just about anywhere in Pullman. 

Information regarding parking can be found on the WSU Athletics website, and information about safe rides can be found on the WSU website.  This is the most important piece of the event to figure out, as the traffic to and from the game can cause delays. 

The fourth step is to attend the game. Martin Stadium has a variety of amenities and attractions along with the game that provide for an enjoyable experience. These include the Cougar Football Complex, Rogers Practice Field, merchandise and concessions. 

At halftime, the practice field turns into a common meeting area with a range of games, food, and drinks. 

Once the game is over, the final step is transportation back. This again can vary from walking, public transportation, personal transportation, and a safe ride program. 

The process of attending a game may seem daunting, but in the end it is easy to figure out and is an enjoyable experience.