Cougars weather storm in Portland and move to 3-0

WSU gets first win vs UP in school history

The No. 23 WSU women’s soccer team (3-0-0) defeated the Portland Pilots (1-1) Thursday night at Merlo Field in Portland, Oregon. Junior goalkeeper Nadia Cooper tied her career high with 10 saves, leading the Cougs to the first win over Portland in program history.

Fifth-year Bridget Rieken’s goal in the 47th minute was enough for WSU’s first win against the Pilots all-time. In the 48th minute, the Cougs earned a corner kick after fifth-year Grayson Lynch’s shot from outside the box forced the Portland goalkeeper to make a save. Lynch took the corner and Rieken connected with her head at the edge of the six-yard box. The ball took a deflection off a Pilot defender and trickled into the bottom left corner, ultimately winning the game for the Cougs. 

This was Rieken’s first goal of the season and the seventh of her career. Lynch grabbed her first assist of the season, after a two-goal performance last week vs. Texas A&M. This was the seventh assist of Lynch’s career.

WSU controlled less than 40% of possession in the game, largely finding themselves on the defensive side of the ball. Junior goalkeeper Nadia Cooper’s performance highlighted a strong Cougar defensive stand, holding a good Portland team scoreless.

Less than 10 minutes into the game, Portland forward Cally Togiai had a shot from six yards out denied after a huge close-range save by Cooper. Later on in the first half, in what might have been Portland’s best chance of the game, Portland defender Hailey Bagby sent a high cross into the box from just outside the left side of the Cougar 18-yard line. The ball was curling dangerously towards the top right corner, but Cooper made an amazing one-handed save while diving backward toward the post, just enough to tip the ball wide for a corner.

Portland dominated the ball late in the game, but couldn’t find a way past Cooper, who had seven saves in the second half. In the 90th minute, right at the death, Aliyah Dockter’s shot from the top of the box was headed for the back of the net, until a diving parry made by Cooper secured the clean sheet and win for the Cougs. Cooper earned her first shutout of the season, and the sixth shutout of her career, moving into a tie for fifth in WSU history for career shutouts.

The Cougars had nine total shots with three on goal compared to the Pilots’ 19 total shots and 10 on target. The Cougs received three yellow cards to Portland’s one. WSU improved to 1-14-2 all-time against the Pilots. The match was WSU head coach Todd Shulenberger’s 92nd career victory.

WSU starts the season 3-0-0 for the first time since the rescheduled 2020 season in spring 2021. The Cougars host Weber State 1 p.m. Sunday, at Lower Soccer Field to start an eight-game home stand. The game can be seen on Pac-12 Washington.