Former WSU student sentenced for vehicular assault

Former student reaches plea agreement, charged with vehicular assault while under the influence
DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

A former WSU student charged with vehicular assault while under the influence of alcohol has been sentenced to nine months in home confinement, one year in community custody and to pay around $15,000 in victim restitution fees. 

Carmen Fernandez has been accused of hitting two people, one a fellow WSU student, as well as hitting a light pole and a fire hydrant, on Nov. 12. According to the Moscow-Pullman Daily News, “one of the survivors said he tried to jump out of the way, but was struck, and the other was thrown onto the hood of the vehicle before it drove off, according to records.”

Police responded to the incident at Brandi Way that night, finding one victim about 100 yards from where he was struck with a laceration on his head and a concussion and the other victim with a broken leg. According to the Moscow-Pullman Daily News, Fernandez was driving with a blood alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit that night.

Fernandez appeared in court Aug. 24 for a plea deal. Whitman County Prosecutor Denis Tracy reached a plea agreement with Fernandez that dropped one count of vehicular assault and all hit-and-run charges. Tracy cited her age, lack of a criminal record and willingness to take responsibility as reasons for doing so.