Get Involved Fair returns this week

Event held twice per school year for two hours outside CUB
Daily+Evergreens+managing+editor+Sam+Taylor%2C+life+editor+Gabrielle+Feliciano+and+news+co-editor+Josiah+Pike+table+at+Get+Involved+Fair%2C+Sept.+6.+
Daily Evergreen’s managing editor Sam Taylor, life editor Gabrielle Feliciano and news co-editor Josiah Pike table at Get Involved Fair, Sept. 6.

This year’s Get Involved Fair will be held from 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m on Sept. 6 at the Glenn Terrell Mall.

Anna Somerville, Graduate Advisor for Student Organizations in the Center for Student Organizations and Leadership, said the event will have tables of over 100 Registered Student Organizations. She said this event is the primary way for interested students to connect and get involved with on-campus organizations.

“It’s also beneficial for people who are just kind of walking through on their way to classes to come and see the different organizations and pick up a couple flyers on their way,” Somerville said.

Typically, there is another Get Involved Fair at the start of spring semester in January, but Somerville said she is hoping to do smaller fairs throughout the year to better connect students with clubs. However, the fall fair is often the biggest, so her advice is to show up ready to talk to RSO organizers and see what looks interesting.

The fair is sponsored by Domino’s this year, who is providing free pizza, and there will be live music provided by DJs, Somerville said. Attending the fair is the best way to get involved in campus events, activities and organizations, but even students who cannot attend can still find something on campus that fits their interests by visiting wsu.presence.io and looking for an appealing club, she said.

Somerville said another great way to find out what is available and start working with them is by emailing her at [email protected].

“Come to our office in CUB 331,” she said. “We are more than happy to connect you with one or multiple RSOs that will fit you.”

Getting involved on campus is vital to student success during college. According to the 2018-2019 Ohio State Graduation Survey, students who got involved with at least one activity outside of classes were more likely to be happy with their overall experience, have a job offer when graduating, and express interest in graduate or professional school. RSOs give students chances to explore interests outside of their studies, connect with other students, and have some fun. 

“I understand that the first step is really hard, but there are people out there who really want you to take it and are happy to help,” Somerville said. 

RSOs can register to table for the fair at events.wsu.edu, but attending students only need to block out some time in their schedules to talk to the tabling RSOs, eat some pizza and listen to good music.