Pullman High School looks to stay hot

The Greyhounds look for their third win in a row against Rogers High School
Courtesy of Doug Winchel
Head Coach David Cofer shows his Pullman High School football team specific plays.

The Pullman Greyhounds (2-1) will welcome the Rogers Pirates (3-0) in a Greater Spokane League (GSL) matchup Friday. Pullman is in the midst of a two-game win streak and will look to continue this early success Friday. 

Pullman comes off of a 35-7 win against North Central High School. The passing attack was certainly in sync, finishing the game with 406 yards in the air. 

Rogers will come to Pullman off of a 31-20 win against Freeman (Spokane), a 1A classification opponent. 

The Greyhounds sit at the top of the GSL standings through three weeks, with the Pirates coming in at the fourth spot. 

This matchup will have huge implications later down the line for how the GSL will finish, as both of these teams are in the top portion of the standings in the league so far. 

In Pullman’s previous matchup against North Central, officials stopped the game with about nine minutes left, citing a violation of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association’s (WIAA’s) code of conduct relating to alleged racist language. 

The GSL released an update on the situation via social media. 

The GSL statement said that the WIAA and the Washington Officials Association (WOA) will not be investigating the situation that transpired and that no official, coach, or administrator heard said language from any player on either team. 

The GSL also said the teams ultimately shook hands at the end of the game and they will support both Pullman High School and North Central High School in their efforts to investigate the situation.

Pullman quarterback Caleb Northcroft went down with an injury in week two against Moscow High School but was sharp against North Central High School, appearing to be fine as far as the injury goes. 

Greyhound receivers Champ Powaukee and Gavin Brown will look to continue their successful seasons catching passes. Powaukee is coming off of a four-touchdown game against North Central. Brown has been a solid target as well this season, hauling in several huge passes.

Rogers started the season well with victories over Medical Lake High School, Grangeville High School (Idaho), and the previously mentioned Freeman High School. 

The game will be live-streamed via the NFHS Network at 7 p.m. Friday at Pullman High School.