ASWSU confirms positions for VMAS and GSA

Coletyn Everdell and Ashe Walker elected to the positions of VMAS, GSA chair respectively.
MADDY RICE
Sebastian Sanders, Director of Community Affairs, updating the senate on the department’s recent activities

Two candidates were elected to the positions of chair for ASWSU’s Veterans and Military Associated Students Committee and the Gender and Sexuality Alliance Committee.

Coletyn Everdell, the VMAS chair candidate, served as the president and chair of VMAS for the past two years and was re-elected by VMAS members for the position last April. Everdell said he wants to help students build community with other military associated students on campus and provide them with the opportunities to attend conferences to gain leadership and career-development skills.

In the past two years, VMAS has sent students to attend nationally held conferences by the Student Veterans of America in Washington D.C. Everdell said he plans on hosting a leadership summit later this year where attendees from the conference can come and speak to the current members of VMAS.

Everdell was unanimously elected to the position and will continue to serve as the chair of VMAS this year.

Ashe Walker, the nominee of chair for GSA has served as the president of GSA for the past year and has made efforts to increase student involvement and awareness surrounding the organization. So far, GSA has held events for jewelry making and sewing.

Walker said they plan on hosting another sewing-based event surrounding upcycling later this year as well as the continuation of Queer Prom which was also held last year. Walker also hopes that the GSA will be able to attend the Gender Studies Symposium at Lewis & Clark College in Oregon later this year, and also plans on submitting a few talks to present at the conference.

Walker was also unanimously elected to the position and will serve as the chair of GSA for this year.

ASWSU’s Director of Community Affairs, Sebastian Sanders, was also at the meeting. Sanders updated the senators on the past month’s activities and announced that the new Rosauers location on Grand Avenue will be opening sometime next month. Construction for the store has been ongoing for the past year after Dissmore’s closed down last June.

The senators then voted on Bill 53-04, which was authored by All-Campus Senator and External Committee Chair Anusha Bos and proposed changes to the ASWSU bylaws regarding freshman delegate duties in reference to inclusion of required tabling hours per semester. The bill was passed unanimously.

The senators also voted on Bill 53-05, which was co-authored by Bose and proposed updated amendments to the ASWSU bylaws based on the addition of new committees and ASWSU positions in the constitution. The bill was also passed unanimously.

Also in attendance at the meeting were representatives from WSU Transportation Services, Director Chris Boyan, Associate Director Cody Wilson, and Transportation Demand Management Supervisor Gabby Rodriguez. They answered questions regarding parking and transport on campus.

ASWSU senate meets every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. in the CUB 204.