Horror movie filming in Pullman through October

Producer Minah Raine Jung speaks on challenges of film production
KYLER BEANDER
Two film crew members on set during the production of “The Invitation,” Sept. 28, Pullman, Wash.

“The Invitation” is a horror movie that will be filmed in Pullman throughout the month of October. 

One of the leaders behind this endeavor is producer Minah Raine Jung, who initially pursued a career in theater while living in Shoreline. Minah entered the world of filmmaking after relocating to Seattle. 

The Invitation draws inspiration from Korean culture intertwined with American themes, promising a unique and thrilling cinematic experience, Minah said.

Behind the scenes, the production team invests hours into meticulous setup, works for around nine hours each day and frequently turns to caffeine to stay energized.

“[We want to show] how we are all living and only looking forward throughout the world,” Minah said.

KYLER BEANDER
“The Invitation” producer Minah Raine Jung, Sept. 28, Snake River. 

Since pursuing a career in film, Minah has been involved in a diverse array of film projects in both South Korea and the United States, including TV shows, short films and documentaries.

The film centers around how people’s actions can lead to unforeseen consequences, Minah said. This is paired with the notion that people are always looking forward to the future, as well as the problems behind viewing the world with tunnel vision.

Minah points to the budget as the most challenging aspect of filmmaking.

Every project requires careful consideration of expenses such as transportation fees, hotel accommodations, equipment costs and wages for the cast, among other things, according to the Film Fund. Additionally, assembling a team of like-minded individuals can be quite a task, but is an essential element in bringing a project to life.

Minah emphasizes the unpredictability of each day.

“We don’t know what’s gonna happen every day of the set,” Minah said.

Problem-solving continues to be one of the most prominent aspects of the entire filmmaking process, adding to the dynamic nature of the work, according to Filmscalpel.

For Minah, this unpredictability is what makes filmmaking so beautiful. It challenges the team to think on their feet and find innovative solutions, ultimately leading to a stronger and more compelling product.

As advice to aspiring filmmakers, Minah encourages them to recognize the value of their unique stories. She stresses the importance of continuous education, whether through reading or watching movies, as a means of refining one’s craft. Furthermore, she urges filmmakers to discover their personal style and to continually strive for growth and improvement.

View Comments (1)