Cougs look to come back in Berkeley

WSU to be tested in fifth round of Pac-12 play
WSU+number+3%2C+forward+Brianna+McReynolds%2C+speeds+toward+the+ball+across+the+field+with+USC+number+26+Simi+Awujo+at+an+NCAA+womens+soccer+game+against+USC%2C+Sept.+28%2C+2023%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
MADDY RICE
WSU number 3, forward Brianna McReynolds, speeds toward the ball across the field with USC number 26 Simi Awujo at an NCAA women’s soccer game against USC, Sept. 28, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Following a tough loss to Arizona State, the WSU soccer team (8-5, 1-4) returns to the road this weekend to play California (5-3-5, 2-0-3) at 3 p.m. Friday in Berkeley, California.

The Golden Bears hold an all-time 17-12-3 record over the Cougs. WSU has taken the victory in three of the last four matchups against Cal and fell to the Golden Bears 2-1 last October.

Cal remains undefeated in Pac-12 play and wields an 11-4 goal differential this season on their home turf of Edwards Stadium. On the contrary, the Cougs have struggled to find their footing in conference play brought upon by the second half of their season, taking a sole win against Arizona last Thursday.

The Golden Bears’ last victory came against Arizona when the team took a 2-0 win at home September 22. Since, Cal has logged consecutive draws against Arizona State (1-1), Utah (1-1) and Colorado (0-0), who they met last Sunday.

Cal goalkeeper Teagen Wy ranks fifth overall in the Pac-12. With a record of 53 saves so far this season, Wy is tied for third-most in the conference alongside ASU keeper Pauline Nelles, who the Cougs faced last week.

The Cougs took the fall in their most recent game with a 5-1 loss against ASU last Sunday.

High-noon desert heat and yellow cards came into factor last weekend, but the Cougs have had time to reset and hope to return to the pitch stronger.

“I’m not a guy that’s gonna sit back and not go for it,” head coach Todd Shulenbeger said during Tuesday’s press conference. “We’re gonna go for it. I don’t care if the score was ten to one, right? We’re still in the heat here.”

Margie Detrizio will be fundamental to the Cougars’ offense this weekend. The senior will be seeking to continue her hot streak, logging six goals and three assists on the year. In terms of program history, Detrizio currently sits seventh in career goals and points and is tied for eighth in assists.

“Margie’s been a key factor here as we continue down the home stretch here to try to make a push,” Shulenberger said.

Fifth-year Coug Bridget Reiken has surpassed 7,000 minutes in her collegiate career and is set to make her 83rd appearance against Cal.

Shulenberger continues to creep up on a school record of 100 wins, securing his 97th last Thursday against Arizona.

With two home games on the horizon, the Cougs look to give it their all in Berkeley this weekend.

“We’re still hungry. We got six to go, and who’s to say we couldn’t get six some results here,” Shulenberger said.

Kickoff will be live at 3 p.m. Friday on Pac-12 Insider.