Visiting Writers Series continues with Indigenous poet-author

Bojan Louis visiting Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art at 5 p.m. Wednesday
JOSEPH GARDNER
The Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art WSU, Pullman, Wash.

The Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art will be continuing its Visiting Writers Series with guest poet-author Bojan Louis at 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Louis is the author of the short-story collection “Sinking Bell,” the poetry collection “Currents” and many others. Additionally, Louis is an associate professor in the creative writing master of fine arts and American Indian studies programs at University of Arizona.

Louis has received a 2018 American Book Award, 2023 National Endowments for the Arts Literature Fellowship and a MacDowell Fellowship for his previous works.

The Visiting Writers Series has been present at Washington State University for 25 years, with anywhere from four to nine events being held each academic year, series co-director Cameron McGill said.

“Our hope is that we can create opportunities for students to find something that might be missing from their academic life,” McGill said.

The series is intended to bring poets and writers of fiction and non-fiction to the WSU campus to speak with students, conduct creative writing workshops and serve as a free resource to the public, McGill said.

The highlight of the series is hearing people from the top of their field interact and inspire the next generation, McGill said.

“Finding new experiences is like finding new music. Once you step out and discover something new, you’re hooked,” McGill said.

Louis’ visit can be attended in person or via Visiting Writers Series WSU’s YouTube livestream.