Right guys, right place; what it takes to be a Coug

It takes more than just scouting skill to find a true Coug
Jake+Dickert+sings+the+Cougar+Fight+Song+in+front+of+the+Cougar+Marching+Band+after+win+over+Northern+Colorado%2C+Sept.+16.+
Jake Dickert sings the Cougar Fight Song in front of the Cougar Marching Band after win over Northern Colorado, Sept. 16.

Losing streaks are not easy for anyone. And in a program where bowl games are the standard, and six weeks ago it appeared to be a lock, it is even tougher.

The real test of a team is whether they can stay mentally locked in and find a way to still get better each day even when it might not seem to be paying off on the field. 

WSU may have lost six in a row, and they might be on their last limbs, fighting to salvage what has been a nosedive since the bye week, but it is mental toughness that carries them forward. A toughness that is utilized at WSU, but a characteristic searched for in recruiting, head coach Jake Dickert said.

It is easy to look at stats, and things like height, weight and speed, and while that is something scouts look at, part of recruiting at WSU, Dickert said, is finding guys that love the grind.

“You go to love the work and not just the outcomes, not just the Saturdays on GESA Field. You got to love the work and the grind. And those are the type of guys we’re searching tirelessly to find each and every day,” Dickert said.

With a combination of bad weather, being lost in the fields of the Palouse, and in an uncertain conference situation, finding the right fit for the program takes precedence in recruiting, Dickert said. They look for guys that will embrace being a Coug and embrace the idea of what it means to be one. 

“It’s one of those things that we got to find the right fit for our place, always. Fit, making sure they’re a true football player and then intangible pieces,” Dickert said. “We’re open and honest about who we are. We’re not sugarcoating anything. We know we’re here in Pullman, Washington, we know we’re Washington State. We know the challenges that come with but we also know the great things for young people and how you can develop through that process.”

Another key factor is having a full recruiting cycle. Dickert is in just his second full year as head coach, following the years of COVID-19 slowing things down and now NIL slowing the Cougs down. So being able to have a full cycle is key for scouting, recruiting and retaining.

At the end of the current cycle, it will be the second full cycle for Dickert and his staff, and just the first for first-year coaches at key spots like offensive and defensive coordinator. The biggest key in having a full cycle, Dickert said, is getting past the phone calls.

“Sometimes it’s hard on the phone. I love it in camps and different things where you get to see them in person. Obviously, we do the school evaluations, where you see him in the weight room. You try to get information from coaches, from counselors, from teachers. You go top to bottom to try to make sure you’re getting the right guys. When you go through the full cycle, you really get the right type of people,” Dickert said. 

On the other side of the coin is trying to find the right guys in the portal. With the previously mentioned factors working against WSU, it gets tougher each year trying to reel talent from the portal. Add in the small pool that wish to come to WSU, and the evaluation gets even tougher.

Still, however, in the process, many things can affect the Cougs’ decision to bring in transfers, especially the reason why they left their last destination, Dickert said. And to have the best crop to pick from, you need to be ahead of the game.

“Getting ahead in recruiting is vitally important because, you know, we’ve seen throughout history when you do the December and January stuff, sometimes you don’t get as much of a time with that, especially portal guys, right? That’s a shotgun marriage. And a lot of times guys are leaving for certain reasons, not all of them positive,” Dickert said.

Not every transfer can fit like Daiyan Henley did and Cam Ward has, but the goal is to work to find guys that fit the team not only scheme and skill-wise but personality and character-wise. And in finding those guys, through the portal and out of high school, the Cougs form a mental fortress, built to withstand the toughest storms, even a six-game losing streak.