WSU graduate student publishing queer mystery novel

Hannah Martian releasing ninth book “LONG TIME GONE” fall 2024
COURTESY OF BECCA WALKER
Hannah Martian, author and WSU student.

Author and WSU graduate student Hannah Martian struck a deal with Crooked Lane Books to publish her new book “LONG TIME GONE,” set to release in fall 2024.

Hannah spent her summer in Casper, Wyoming, in 2021 working as the Casper Horseheads Baseball Club broadcasting and media director. She has also been a broadcaster since 2016 and is currently doing freelance broadcasting.

Inspired by her time in Wyoming, the dual-timeline adult mystery novel follows a young lesbian private investigator who is summoned to a small town in Wyoming. There, she follows mysterious clues about a murder in a prominent family, only to find out they would do anything to preserve their version of the truth behind the murder.

“I wrote it as a broadcaster in Wyoming. That really inspired it. My identity as a lesbian also inspired me to write this book. I think that’s really important, and I felt it was really important to include that,” Hannah said.

For this novel, Hannah said she was writing for people who are fans of mysteries, but also people who are queer fans of those books.

“It has a romance element, and it hits all those themes. It’s very atmospheric, you really feel like you’re in Wyoming,” Hannah’s friend Lindsay Schilperoort said.

This is Hannah’s eighth novel and first novel with Crooked Lane Books. Hannah signed her first contract with Crooked Lane Books this past October.

“Crooked Lane put in an offer, and I was really excited to work with them,” Hannah said.

Hannah is represented by Fuse Literary agent Michelle Richter and with her help, she was able to find a home at Crooked Lane Books.

“I have been writing novels since I was 10. I’ve always been interested in mysteries,” Hannah said. “My last two books were mysteries but they didn’t sell.”

Hannah’s sister Amanda Martian said she has written complete books since middle school. The first book of Hannah’s books she read was titled “Cursed.” She says Hannah’s new book is her favorite book yet.

“I read her new book as she has developed characters and plot points. I don’t want to give away everything, but I would say it’s intriguing, innovative, and unique,” Amanda said.