Keepin up on Cougs; offseason departure tracker

Keeping track of all the departing Cougs and where they end up
Brennan+Jackson+takes+in+everything+about+his+senior+night+before+getting+two+scoop+and+score+against+Colorado%2C+Nov.+17%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Brennan Jackson takes in everything about his senior night before getting two scoop and score against Colorado, Nov. 17, in Pullman, Wash.

As the offseason continues to unfold, among other things many Cougars will be going their separate ways. Whether it be transferring, entering the draft or just graduating, below we will follow the paths any exiting Cougars decide to take.

Draft:

Cam Ward – Quarterback

After two seasons on the Palouse following his stellar career at Incarnate Word, Ward took major strides in 2023, finishing fifth in the country in passing yards and throwing 25 touchdowns completing 66.6% of his passes. In his statement via his X account, Ward officially entered the transfer portal December 1 and evaluated if he would enter the 2024 Draft field or transfer.

Ward announced in a video on his X and Instagram accounts that he is declaring for the 2022 NFL draft. He also accepted his invitation to play with former teammate Brennan Jackson in the East-West Shrine Bowl per their Instagram.

Brennan Jackson – Edge

The sixth-year Coug edge went out with a bang in his final season on the Palouse registering a career-high in sacks (8.5) and was named an All-Pac-12 second teamer and accepted an invitation to the East-West Shrine Bowl. 

With more accolades and a dominant season under his belt, Jackson is taking his talents pro, and entering the NFL Draft he announced on X December 5.

Ron Stone Jr. – Edge

Following his sixth season as a Coug and matching his career high in sacks (5) and forcing three fumbles, the impact veteran edge declared for the 2024 NFL Draft December, 8 on his Instagram. Stone now heads into a talented edge rusher class as an All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention looking to show out at the Cougs Pro Day to increase his stock.

Lincoln Victor – Wide receiver

Despite injuries, Victor finished the 2023 season with career highs in yards, touchdown catches and receptions, and his 89 total catches put him at third most in a season in WSU history, and sixth in the nation. Now Victor looks to put his talents on display professionally next year, as he entered the 2024 NFL Draft on November 30 via his Instagram.

A team captain and All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention who backed it up with a career year, Victor could be a Pro Day away from lacing up on Sundays in 2024.

Chau Smith-Wade – Cornerback

The star Cougar corner missed the last month of the season due to injury, but there was never a doubt who the Cougs lockdown guy was. Smith-Wade had the third-best coverage grade among Pac-12 corners before his injury, and accepted an invite to the Reese’s Senior Bowl on November 21, the highest honor among postseason collegiate all-star games.

Now the star corner has decided to forego his remaining eligibility and enter the 2024 NFL Draft as he announced on his Instagram December 9.

Cam Lampkin – Cornerback

The Robin to Smith-Wade’s Batman, Lampkin had a career year statistically and took the reigns when Smith-Wade went down with an injury. As a graduating senior, Lampkin built up his resume down the stretch of the 2023 season and announced his decision to enter the 2024 NFL Draft via his Instagram December 2.

Devin Richardson – Linebacker

Richardson played one season with WSU after transferring as a graduate from the University of Texas. In 2023 he recorded 62 tackles, one sack and forced one fumble and now looks to improve his stock at Wazzu’s pro day before trying his luck in the 2024 NFL Draft.

Richardson announced his declaration for the draft via his Instagram December 27.

Sam Lockett III – Safety

Lockett spent two years at WSU after beginning his career at Utah State then transferring to City College of San Francisco the ultimately to WSU. In 2023 he recorded a career-high 73 tackles, one forced fumble and a half sack. He also notched two interceptions, one pass defended and a fumble recovery.

As a ball-hawking deep safety, Lockett now sets his sights on the pros. He declared for the 2024 NFL Draft on his Instagram December 30.

Jaden Hicks – Safety

Hicks, along with Ward, were two of the biggest question marks following the 2023 season regarding there decision as to leave or stay. After just three years at WSU and just two as a starter, Hicks now enters the 2024 NFL Draft field as a redshirt sophomore.

Hicks consistently appeared in Pro Football Focus’s top five safety rankings throughout the 2023 season, also being named a third-team Freshman All-American in 2022. In 2023 Hicks recorded a career-high 76 tackles, 2.5 sacks, one forced fumble and two interceptions, returning one for a touchdown.

With true NFL size at 6 feet, 3 inches tall and 212 pounds, Hicks could make a strong case at WSU’s upcoming pro day. He declared for the draft January 5 via his Instagram.

Transfer portal:

Josh Kelly – Wide receiver

After just one season since transferring in from Fresno State, Kelly was announced to have entered the transfer portal by On3 Sports via X November 30. Kelly had a career-high in catches (61), receiving yards (923) and touchdowns (8) in 2023 as well as making several SportsCenter-level catches throughout the year and in practice.

The departure along with Victor’s and the graduation of Isaiah Hamilton leaves the Cougars thinner at the position, headed currently by true freshman Carlos Hernandez and junior Kyle Williams. 

Kelly announced on his X account that he committed to Texas Tech, meaning he will face off with WSU next year in Pullman.

Peter Eyabi – Defensive End

A redshirt freshman from San Diego, California, Eyabi did not see any action in his two seasons at WSU and announced his decision to enter the portal on his Instagram Friday. 

Jakobus Seth – Offensive lineman

The redshirt freshman from Lakewood, Washington saw no action at WSU after coming in as a three-star recruit and now hits the portal with three years of eligibility remaining. He announced his decision on his Instagram December 4.

Emmett Brown – Quarterback

Spending the 2023 season as the Cougs’ third-string QB, Brown announced his entry into the portal via X December 1. Brown saw action in the Cougs’ dominant win over FCS Northern Colorado throwing four passes and completing two, it was his lone appearance in his collegiate career thus far.

Ahmad McCullough – Linebacker

A product of the Cougs linebacker overhaul of last offseason, McCullough was limited throughout 2023 by injuries and sank in the depth chart, recording just three tackles on the year. The former Maryland transfers decision was announced by On3 Sports on their X November 30.

Tristan Souza – Defensive tackle

The junior from Camas, Washington spent four years with the Cougs, playing in two games. He announced his decision on his X November 28, entering the portal with two years of eligibility remaining.

Javan Robinson – Cornerback

The redshirt freshman from Apopka, Florida started multiple games for the Cougs but announced his decision to enter the portal on his X November 16, with two games left in the season. He recorded 12.5 tackles and one pass defended in 2023. the Arizona State Wildcats Sunday

Despite many offers, Robinson committed to the Arizona State Wildcats Sunday, and will continue his playing career at a school near WSU, but no longer a member of their conference.

Luca Rodarte – Long Snapper

The first to enter the portal, Rodarte announced his decision on X November 15. He did not see any action during his time at WSU.

Orion Peters – Wide receiver

A redshirt sophomore, Peters appeared in all 13 games for the Cougs in 2023, starting just two. He recorded 13 catches for 138 yards and one touchdown. The 5 foot, 9 inches tall 170-pound versatile slot receiver from Inglewood, California announced his entry to the portal December 24, 2023, on his X account.

Davon Hicks – Linebacker

A true junior, Hicks spent two years at the University of South Florida before transferring to WSU and now takes advantage of the NCAA’s new rule allowing second transfers with no penalty. He appeared in two games for WSU last fall and entered the portal with two years of eligibility remaining.

He announced his intention to enter the transfer portal on his X account December 28, 2023.