Kappa Delta house renovations, including ADA accessibility, beginning January

Renovations not expected to interfere in next year’s recruitment process
MADDY RICE
The Kappa Delta house has had no members of the sorority living there since 2022.

WSU’s Kappa Delta sorority house will be undergoing renovations starting in January 2024 and going through June or July.

Kappa Delta’s house was originally built in 1935 according to chapter members, so many aspects of the house are needing updates. Due to price increases post-pandemic, the project is being broken into phases, with the first phase beginning in January.

Kappa Delta President Maddie Kluk said some of the highlights of this first stage of renovations include Americans with Disability Act accessibility, an updated security system and designated study rooms with flexible study areas on every floor.

Chapter member Kynseth Mann said Kappa Delta’s house on Greek Row has been vacant for a while now, as no girls have been living there since spring 2022.

“Our chapter has done a very good job of maintaining our day-to-day business. We have been able to hold chapters in rooms on campus, and we host our sisterhoods and philanthropy events at other venues,” Mann said. “Our day-to-day business will stay the same until the house is complete.”

Mann said the Kappa Delta sorority has been a part of WSU’s campus since 1923, and the chapter house was built 12 years later in 1935. Kappa Delta celebrated its centennial this year.

For the women of Kappa Delta, the renovation has two goals, Kluk said. The first goal is to ensure a safe place for chapter members, while the second is to ensure the chapter remains competitive on campus while providing a space women want to be in. The renovations are not expected to affect this coming year’s recruitment process.

“The house is expected to be ready by summer 2024, which ensures we will be able to recruit for the chapter house for fall 2024,” Kluk said.

Having a house that has had few renovations since the 30s means that there are a lot of updates necessary to have a safe and inviting home for the women of Kappa Delta, Kluk said.

“We are looking forward to having a newly renovated house for the women of our chapter to move into this next fall,” Kluk said. “We are incredibly excited for this renovation, and cannot wait to have our beautiful chapter house back.”