Magda Jehlárová expands trophy case

Another first for Cougar great
WSU women’s volleyball head coach Jen Greeny and middle blocker Magda Jehlárová talk to reporters during a press conference after defeating Dayton in an NCAA second-round match 3-1, Dec. 2, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.WSU women’s volleyball head coach Jen Greeny and middle blocker Magda Jehlárová talk to reporters during a press conference after defeating Dayton in an NCAA second-round match 3-1, Dec. 2, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Although her last time in Bohler Gym is in the rear-view mirror, Magda Jehlárová is still re-writing the record books for WSU volleyball. Her most recent addition comes after she was named an AVCA All-American First Team player for 2023, the second time of her career on the First Team. 

No other WSU volleyball player in program history had made multiple appearances on the All-American First Team until Jehlárová came to town that is. 

She made her first AVCA All-American First Team last season, making the Second Team in 2019 and Third Team in 2021 before that. Improving her efficiency from the 2022 season, another First Team selection was clear to see. 

Over 34 matches in the 2023 season, Jehlárová averaged 2.41 kills per set and 1.39 blocks per set while hitting a career-best .424%. Her 294 total kills were also the highest single-season mark of her career and her 169 blocks were good for her third-best season behind her 2019 freshman season and 2022 season. 

During the season, she broke numerous program records as well as Pac-12 and NCAA records. With 147 career matches played, she has played in the most matches in WSU history and broke the program record for hitting percentage (.384%), block assists (624), and blocks (769).

While her WSU career is over, her volleyball career is from it. The No. 2 overall pick in the inaugural Professional Volleyball Federation college draft, she will begin her career for the Atlanta Vibe in 2024.