WSU 2024 opponents announced

Cougs set to face 11 non-conference opponents
The+WSU+football+teams+runs+out+with+Mike+Leach+pirate+flags%2C+Sept.+9.+
MADDY RICE
The WSU football teams runs out with Mike Leach pirate flags, Sept. 9.

The dust is settling after the abrupt departure of 10 of the original Pac-12 schools. With the recent agreement to play six non-conference games against Mountain West opponents, Wazzu has added a new opponent and has clarity on who from the MWC they will be facing in 2024.

It was already set in stone that the Cougs would open the season by welcoming Portland State to Pullman Aug. 31. The new addition to the Cougar schedule is a non-conference game against the Texas Tech Red Raiders from the Big 12 conference also at Gesa Field Sep. 7.

This is the first-ever trip for TTU to Pullman and the first match-up between the two since 1964. The Red Raiders lead the all-time series 2-0, with wins in 1963 and ‘64.

Next, the Cougs will play Washington, Sept. 14 at Lumen Field in Seattle in an extension of the Apple Cup before returning home to take on San Jose State, Sept. 21. The only other game date known is the “Pac-2 Championship” against fellow remaining Pac-12 member Oregon State, which will take place in Corvallis, Oregon Nov. 23.

The remaining dates of the extra seven MWC match-ups are unknown, as the Cougs await the MWC to make decisions to set them. While when is in question, who is not. Wazzu will face Utah State, Wyoming and Hawai’i in Pullman and will hit the road to face San Diego State, New Mexico, Fresno State and Boise State (yes on the blue turf).

After much uncertainty about what the Cougs and Beavs could do, there is now clarity at least for football for 2024. The new challenge for the Cougs is rebuilding a team losing many key pieces of the roster to the NFL Draft and transfer portal and attempting to secure final recruits before signing day.

For Coug fans, there will be college football Saturdays in 2024, and now is the time to start getting prepared with a good look at the upcoming opponents.