Pullman Greyhound boys win on home floor

Champ Powaukee paces Hounds with 26 points
Caleb+Northcroft+contorts+his+body+for+a+layup+attempt+against+East+Valley+%28Spokane%29%2C+Jan.+25%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Caleb Northcroft contorts his body for a layup attempt against East Valley (Spokane), Jan. 25, in Pullman, Wash.

The bleachers were packed with blue-and-gray clad fans to cheer on the Pullman Greyhounds (11-4) to a 85-48 victory against the East Valley Knights (3-13) Thursday evening at Pullman High School.

The Greyhounds dominated the court as soon as the clock began counting down, as senior Champ Powaukee tapped the ball to junior Daniel Kwon. Quickly, the Greyhounds built up a solid lead, with Powaukee sinking several threes and 6-foot-11 senior Austin Hunt controlling the key. Freshman Cade Rogers broke away with 30 seconds left in the first quarter to sink an uncontested layup, and the Greyhounds finished the quarter 24-13.

It was Powaukee who continued to lead the charge as Pullman began to pull away throughout the first half and built an even greater lead. Junior Gavin Brown sank a three with three seconds to go in the second quarter, much to the pleasure of the Greyhound fans, and the Pullman boys ended the half up 47-25.

Champ Powaukee goes up-and-under and around defenders for an acrobatic finish at the rim, Jan. 25, in Pullman, Wash.

Powaukee topped the night’s scorebook with 26 points. Head coach Craig Brantner said that Powaukee’s early assists and 3-pointers helped the Hounds secure the game.

Though it was the Hounds’ game from the very start, East Valley’s Nehemiah Harry was quick on defense, and David Layne led the Knights in points with a total of 11. However, Pullman’s defense returned to the second half ready to shut down any further attempts from the Knights.

“We played really good defense tonight. Our kids were in the right spot, jumping for the ball, making sure we were closing down lanes to the basket,” Brantner said.

Thursday’s game marks the eighth consecutive victory for the Pullman boys. With four more games scheduled in their regular season, the Greyhounds currently hold the No. 2 spot — behind Mt. Spokane (15-2, 7-0) — in the district having gone 6-0 in the Greater Spokane League.

The Pullman boys returned to the court, Tuesday and beat Shadle Park — who the Greyhounds beat 64-30 last time out in Spokane — 84-38.