Cheptoo sets school record, shot put sweeps in split T&F weekend

As season nears end, Cougs continue to perform
John+Paredes+and+Nana+Gyedu+high-five+after+Paredes+60+dash+and+as+Gyedu+prepares+for+her+final+throw+in+the+shot+put+competition%2C+Jan.+20%2C+in+Moscow%2C+Idaho.+
John Paredes and Nana Gyedu high-five after Paredes’ 60 dash and as Gyedu prepares for her final throw in the shot put competition, Jan. 20, in Moscow, Idaho.

WSU’s indoor track and field season is coming to a close, but the Cougs have continued to show up and show out. The team spent the weekend split on opposite sides of the state, competing in the Husky Classic in Seattle and the Whitworth Invitational in Spokane.

Brian Barsaiya had the Cougs’ best finish on day one in Seattle at 10th in the men’s 5,000-meter run. The graduate student’s time of 13:53.0 marks a new PR and places him at No. 3 all-time in the program record book.

Freshman Zenah Cheptoo continued an impressive streak of success on day one by setting a WSU record with her 3,000-meter time of 9:06.98.

Across the state, the women’s pole vaulters took the top two steps of the podium. Eva Lowder, another freshman on a hot streak, finished first at 4.23m (13′ 10.50″), just narrowly missing a new school record. Tatum Moku took second at 3.97m (13′ 0.25″) and Madisyn Negro fifth with her PR of 3.72m (12′ 2.25″).

In the men’s weight throw, Caden Hottman finished runner-up with a distance of 17.37m ( 57′ 0.00).

On day two, the Cougs swept the men’s and women’s shot put at the Whitworth Invitational. Ronald Grueso Mosquera totaled a second-best of 18.02m (59′ 1.50″) while Nana Gyedu recorded 15.75m (51′ 8.25″). Gyedu’s PR performance puts her at No. 2 in the WSU record book and No. 54 in the nation.

Sophomore Eli Lawrence took victory in the men’s triple jump at 14.82m (48′ 7.75″).

A.J. McGloflin rounded out the field victories for the Cougs with his PR in the men’s high jump at 2.10m (6′ 10.75″).

On track, 10 WSU athletes accounted for PRs in Spokane, including the women’s 60-meter prelims, with Gilana Wollman’s second-place finish at 7.58 and Ashley Hollenbeck’s fifth-place finish at 7.73

Jessica Duran’s took fifth in the women’s 3,000-meter at 10:20.70.

In the final of the men’s 60-meter dash, Allan McKeraghan PRed with his fifth-place finish at 6.87.

The men’s mile saw Ethan Martin fall just outside the podium at fourth, with a new career best of 4:17.09, 4th.

Maya McCabe accounted for the Cougs’ best finish on the second day of the Husky Classic, finishing 17th in the women’s 800-meter with a PR of  2:09.39.

Up next, a select group of track and field athletes will take to the Arkansas Qualifier, hosted by the Arkansas Razorbacks in Fayetteville, Arkansas Friday.