Stadium Way opens after Diesel spill cleanup

WSU Police do not know the origin of spill
Pedestrians walk by as WSU police closes Stadium Way near Beasley Coliseum due to a diesel spill, Feb. 15, 2024, in Pullman, Wash.

Update: WSU announced at 1:05 p.m. Thursday that Stadium Way reopened 

An alert was sent to the WSU community after the WSU Police closed two blocks of Stadium Way, from Cougar Way to Ferdinand’s Lane and a block of North Fairway Road, late Thursday morning because of a diesel spill.

WSU Police do not know the origin of the spill, said Joseph Kirshner, WSU Police Department corporal.

Workers place a detour sign up on a closure blockade along Stadium Way, Feb. 15, 2024, in Pullman, Wash.

A citizen reported seeing what appeared to be a gasoline spill on the road and smell in the area, Kirshner said.

WSU Police responded shortly thereafter, barricading Stadium Way and N. Fairway Lane near Beasley Coliseum and the Green Five parking lot, after approximately 11 a.m. Thursday, Kirshner said.

The WSU Environmental Health and Safety Department sent a vacuum truck to clean up the spill and put barriers between the road and affected storm drains in an attempt to prevent the spill from entering the storm drains, Kirshner said.

Diesel fuel runs down the sidewalk along Stadium Way near Beasley Coliseum, Feb. 15, 2024, in Pullman, Wash.

The Green 5 Parking lot remains accessible by way of the detour, which takes drivers off of Stadium Way, onto Ferdinand’s Lane and left down North Fairway Road.

A vacuum truck begins to clean up a diesel spill along North Fairway Road next to Beasley Coliseum, Feb. 15, 2024, in Pullman, Wash.

A foreman from the construction crew responsible for WSU Athletics’ Taylor Sports Complex told the WSU Police that the spill did not come from one of their vehicles, Kirshner said.

Kirshner said he did not know when the cleanup would be complete, but estimated it would take approximately one hour to an hour and a half to clean the area and open the roads.