Pullman clinches a spot in State  

Rogers and Powaukee combined for 40; host Rogers (Spokane) Saturday for District title 
Champ+Powaukee+shoots+a+three-pointer+from+the+top+of+the+key+during+Pullman+High+Schools+win+over+East+Valley+%28Spokane%29%2C+Jan.+25%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Champ Powaukee shoots a three-pointer from the top of the key during Pullman High School’s win over East Valley (Spokane), Jan. 25, in Pullman, Wash.

Pullman senior Champ Powaukee and freshman Cade Rogers scored 20 points each in a 15-point win against Clarkston to advance to the district title game and clinch a spot to state. 

Pullman (16-5) won 68-53 Thursday on a night where four of their five starters scored in double figures, with the fifth being in foul trouble for most of the game. 

The game started slowly. Clarkston’s game plan was to press Pullman to create offense off turnovers.  

Rogers scored 9 of Pullman’s first 12 points and he and Powaukee combined for 16 of Pullman’s 18 first quarter points. Clarkston’s Xandar Van Tine scored or assisted on 9 of Clarkston’s 12 first-quarter points. 

A Clarkston assistant coach received a technical with 2:11 left in the first quarter. 

In the second quarter, Pullman struggled to get the ball down low, and Clarkston could not create offense and was visibly frustrated. There were 2 points scored in the first 2:42 of the quarter.  

Clarkston contained Pullman’s offense to 8 points in the second quarter to send the game to halftime tied at 26. Pullman’s starters had 25 of the team’s 26 points. 

“We anticipated that this is what they [Clarkston] were going to do to us,” said Pullman head coach Craig Branter. 

Brantner made some halftime adjustments and Pullman slowly extended the lead throughout the second half, starting with a 9-2 run. Pullman ended the third quarter up 46-39. 

Clarkston cut the deficit at the beginning of the fourth quarter to 3 points until Rogers made two three-pointers to extend the lead to 9. 

Under four minutes left in the game, Van Tine fouled out with six fouls, earning a technical for arguing with the referee. After that, there was no looking back for Pullman.  

“I don’t think the score shows really how close the game was tonight,” Brantner said.

Powaukee and Rogers scored 20 points, with senior Austin Hunt scoring 12 and junior Daniel Kwon scoring 10. 

Pullman faces off against Rogers (Spokane) at 6 p.m. Saturday for the 2A Greater Spokane League title. Rogers (Spokane) beat West Valley (Spokane) 65-63 Thursday night. Regardless of the outcome, both teams will advance to state. 

The Washington Interscholastic Activities Association will release the opening-round matchups for State Sunday.