WSU baseball home opener delayed to Saturday

Cougs held 1-0 lead in bottom of the first
The snow delays the first home game of the 2024 WSU baseball season, March 1, in Pullman, Wash.

It was a few flakes at first.

Pretty cold, pretty scenic: baseball weather on the Palouse.

Then the snow really began to fall. Home plate umpire Michael Chukerman paused the game in the bottom of the first. The crowd, encouragingly large for the home opener and eve of a certain big basketball game, booed.

After a brief pause, the game resumed. Alan Shibley hit into a fielder’s choice, scoring Max Hartman from third. The Cougs led 1-0.

Queue the ‘stop the count’ jokes.

The count would be stopped and the game delayed as the snow became increasingly heavy. A slew of photographers, videographers, reporters and athletics staff huddled in the cramped press box. Those who were outside had cold, red hands. 

The crowd evaporated, leaving a small number huddled under the umbrella tables on the concourse and an even smaller number stayed buddled up in their seats as the snow washed over their blankets and coats.

The Cougs made their way into the baseball complex. Rhode Island huddled out of the snow.

An umpire did a snow angel, much to the amusement of the enduring small crowd who chose to stay.

45 minutes after the game was delayed for a second time, it was officially postponed.

WSU and Rhode Island were supposed to play four games over the weekend, with a double-header already scheduled for Saturday.

Friday’s delayed game was picked up where it left off in the bottom of the first with two outs. WSU led 1-0.

WSU senior right-handed pitcher Grant Taylor began the game with two strikeouts. He allowed Rhode Island aboard with a single, but after working to a 3-2 count and forcing a fly out to right on his first batter. He worked an 0-2 count on the second batter, striking him out, but allowed the third batter aboard. He struck out Anthony DePino to close the inning unscathed.

Hartman wasted little time in extending his season-long nine-game hit streak. His leadoff double put him aboard to advance to third on a Kyle Russell fielder’s choice and score on Alan Shibley’s fielder’s choice.

WSU led 1-0 when the game was delayed with two outs in the bottom of the first and resumed game one versus Rhode Island at 12:05 Saturday. 

The WSU Livestream will broadcast the game.