Interfraternity and Panhellenic Council initiate drinking ban

The soft drinking ban has no time limit as to when it will end 
Interfraternity+and+Panhellenic+Councils+drinking+ban+does+not+have+a+set+date+to+end+
GABRIELLE BOWMAN
Interfraternity and Panhellenic Councils drinking ban does not have a set date to end

The Interfraternity and Panhellenic Council created an executive order creating a soft drinking ban starting Tuesday morning. 

Both councils have observed an increase in medical transports and calls for medical assistance in the community relating to substance abuse and social events held in the community, according to the executive order. 

As a result, the risk informant for the councils felt a responsibility to manage the efforts to solve the problem. 

The mandate states, a temporary pause on all social events involving alcohol which includes planned, organized, funded, or sponsored/hosted by a chapter that an observer would associate with that chapter for social purposes, according to the order. 

However the order said, this ban does not include gatherings such as chapter meetings, philanthropy and service, new member education, programming and other non-alcoholic events.

The timeline of the ban is uncertain. According to the order, until the Interfraternity and Panhellenic Executive Councils feel confident in a plan created in conjunction with the community, advisors, and university officials address member safety concerts and event execution, according to the order. 

Enforcement of the will be strict of the Greek chapters. Any fraternity or sorority found to be in noncompliance with this executive order will be subject to disciplinary proceedings and will be dealt with by the Panhellenic VP of Standards and Accountability and Interfraternity Director of Policy and Procedure, according to the order. 

The order also said, disciplines may also be executed through the Greek Standards Board. 

The goal of IFC and Panhellenic with this order is to ensure the use and application of Good Samaritan Calls to protect the well-being of members in the community, partner with chapters to foster a healthy social environment, discuss inadequate risk management, provide resources to chapters to evaluate their risk management and call for everyone in the community member to be committed to the safety and well-being of one another, according to the order.