Cougars kick off outdoor track and field season in Spokane and Tucson

WSU takes a total of eight wins
Mason+Lawyer+runs+a+6.82+60+dash+during+the+mens+60+prelim%2C+Jan.+20%2C+in+Moscow%2C+Idaho.+
Mason Lawyer runs a 6.82 60 dash during the men’s 60 prelim, Jan. 20, in Moscow, Idaho.

If the Pullman sunshine wasn’t enough to go by, there’s another tell-tale sign that summer is right around the corner: outdoor track and field is back. The Cougs kicked off their outdoor season this past weekend in Spokane and Tucson, Arizona.

WSU came into the weekend riding the high of a record-packed indoor season, in which several athletes dominated the timetables, took new program records and set nationally-ranked marks.

Additionally, the Cougs earned representation in the Indoor National Championships March 8-9 with freshman Eva Lowder tying for 15th in the women’s pole vault (4.15m/ 13′ 7.25″) and graduate student Mason Mahacek taking 12th in the men’s heptathlon.

To start the outdoor season strong, the Cougs tallied four wins at the Sam Adams Classic hosted by Whitworth in Spokane. Also taking a second-place finish with her time of 15.44 in the women’s 100-meter hurdles, junior Sarah Kovich accounted for a Cougar victory with a mark of 1.69 meters in the women’s high jump.

Also taking a top spot on the podium in Spokane was Ashley Hollenbeck with her 12.27 women’s 100-meter dash, Caden Hottman throwing 47.13 meters in the men’s discus and Justin Sands finding 13.39 meters in the men’s triple jump. All of these finishes marked new PRs for each athlete.

Down in Tucson, the Cougs had a busy Saturday at U of A’s Arizona Spring Break Fiesta. 

Maribel Caicedo set a new personal best with her victory in the women’s 100-meter hurdles at 13.09, with fellow Coug Micaela De Mello finishing runner-up at 13.40.

The Cougs also took first in the women’s 3,000-meter steeplechase, with Caroline Jerotich finishing at 10.28.44.

Following an indoor hot streak, freshman Grant Buckmiller took second in the men’s 400-meter dash at 46.14, a time that places him 6th-fastest overall in WSU track and field history.

Eli Lawrence took victory in the men’s triple jump at 14.80m (48′ 6.75″).

One highlight from the weekend was Laura Lindquist’s 3rd place finish in the women’s javelin. Throwing a mark of 49.90m (163′ 8″), the Utahn sophomore set a new PR and takes 9th all-time in program history.

Across the two meets, WSU set a total of 15 new personal bests.

Next, the Cougar track and field squad will head up the road to the Buc Scoring Invite Thursday and Friday in Spokane.