Brothers of Sigma Lambda Beta to host STI programming event

Event held in collaboration with Women*s Center and Cougar Health Services
Those involved with the last contraceptive distribution programming event. Photo courtesy of Carlos Alatorre Rojo

The brothers of Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity, Inc. will be hosting an STI programming at 7:00pm on March 22 in CUE 203 in collaboration with Cougar Health Services and the Women*s Center.

Program coordinator Carlos Alatorre Rojo said the event is not only extending options to students but also sparking conversations about reproductive health and choice. In partnering with organizations like Planned Parenthood, the STI program offers a comprehensive platform for students to engage with topics that are often overlooked or stigmatized.

In terms of the collaboration between the groups, the Women*s Center will be providing contraceptives while Cougar Health Services will be presenting.

Alatorre Rojo said the event is going to be long, allowing for in-depth discussions and activities. This extended duration is made possible by a larger budget allocated this year from headquarters, highlighting the growing importance placed on reproductive health education and support.

One of the key objectives of the program is to start conversations about reproductive health, he said. By providing contraceptives at the event and offering information about free Plan B sources, the program is meant to educate and empower students, especially those who may not have easy access to such resources due to financial constraints.

“The event is not only about providing information but also about supporting students who may not be financially stable,” Alatorre Rojo said. “By offering sources of free Plan B and other resources, the program ensures that all students have access to essential reproductive health options.”

Participants will have the opportunity to learn more about reproductive health through workshops, discussions and interactive sessions, Alatorre Rojo said. A goodie bag of contraceptives and more information on reproductive health will also be provided.