WSU names Anne McCoy interim athletic director

McCoy has over 20 years of experience with Cougar athletics
    EZEKIEL NELSON
    Interim Director of Athletics Anne McCoy and her daughter, WSU swimmer Taylor McCoy in 2018.

Washington State University announced that Anne McCoy will serve as interim athletic director in a news release Wednesday.

“With more than two decades of experience in the WSU athletics department, she is uniquely qualified to ensure that Cougar athletics continues to excel as we search for the university’s next athletic director,” WSU president Kirk Schulz said.

Formerly WSU’s senior deputy director of athletics and senior woman administrator, McCoy has over 30 years of administrative experience, previously working at the University of Maine, Saint Louis University and Portland State University.

McCoy arrived at WSU in 2001 and has served on a variety of committees within the Pac-12, including the vice president of the executive committee, Pac-12 Women’s Basketball Tournament and nominating committees and the diversity leadership initiative. 

In her previous role, McCoy oversaw all athletics day-to-day operations and supervised men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, soccer and rowing.

She previously held the title of interim athletic director prior to the hiring of Bill Moos in 2010.

McCoy’s daughter, Taylor McCoy was a student-athlete with WSU swimming from 2017-22 who tallied two all-time program records.

McCoy’s appointment comes in the wake of former AD Pat Chun’s departure for the same position at the University of Washington, which was confirmed Tuesday afternoon.

As McCoy takes office, WSU has begun a national search for a full-time AD.