WSU takes on Buc Scoring Invite; Cougs sweep javelin

WSU track and field tallies four wins
John+Paredes+and+Nana+Gyedu+high-five+after+Paredes+60+dash+and+as+Gyedu+prepares+for+her+final+throw+in+the+shot+put+competition%2C+Jan.+20%2C+in+Moscow%2C+Idaho.+
John Paredes and Nana Gyedu high-five after Paredes’ 60 dash and as Gyedu prepares for her final throw in the shot put competition, Jan. 20, in Moscow, Idaho.

The WSU track and field team took to Whitworth’s Buc Scoring Invite last Thursday and Friday to account for several top-five finishes.

On day one, the Cougs swept men’s javelin, with Blake Strugis taking the top spot at 58.64m (192′ 4.0″). Mark Schlichting took second with a PR of 53.83m (176′ 7.0″) and Cody White rounded out the podium at 53.78m (176′ 5″).

Ben Chappell took victory in the men’s hammer throw at 62.17m (203′ 11″), with teammate Caden Hottman finishing runner-up at 59.76m (196′ 0.00″).

Following last week’s PR, Laura Lindquist set a new personal best in the women’s javelin with a throw of 48.15m (157′ 11″) that saw her finish third.

On Friday, Sarah Kovich tallied 4,634 points to secure victory in the heptathlon. The junior from Bothell, Washington, set six new PRs and took four first-place finishes in the multi-day event.  

Finishing first in the women’s long jump, Gilana Wollman found the sand at 5.56m (18′ 3.0″).

Success on the field continued with Nana Gyedu’s victory in the women’s shot put, marking a second-best at 15.55m (51′ 0.25″), and the Cougs finished back-to-back once more this meet in the men’s pole vault. Brayden Freitag took first at 4.90m (16′ 0.75″), with Gavin Dimick finishing runner-up at 4.65m (15′ 3.0).

On track, Neema Kimtai set a facility record at Boppell Track with her first-place finish of 2:08.43 in the women’s 800-meter.

Up next, WSU will compete in the Texas Relays March 27-30 and the Stanford Invitational March 29 and 30.