ASWSU appoints two new senators

ASWSU swore in Harald Hyllseth, Jerry Martinez

OLIVER McKENNA | The Daily Evergreen

Harald Hyllseth is sworn in as ASWSU communication senator Wednesday night in the CUB.

KATIE SHADLER, Evergreen reporter

ASWSU chose new Murrow and uncertified senators at their weekly meeting Wednesday night.

After serving previously as a freshman delegate for ASWSU, the new Murrow senator Harald Hyllseth wanted to focus on putting students first and to bring the Murrow College back to its former glory.

“I know we are capable of so much more,” he said. “We can be bolder.”

He said the biggest challenge is Murrow students realizing the opportunities they have and coming together to discuss ideas and issues.
He said when he was a freshmen delegate, though it was rewarding, the Senate was combative at times.

Now in a new administration, he said he feels more confident in helping discuss issues.

Hyllseth replaces Eduardo Ramos, the former Murrow senator and vice president of the Young Democrats, who was arrested in May for allegedly communicating with a minor for immoral purposes.

New Uncategorized Senator Jerry Martinez wanted to make a difference in students who have yet to choose their career path.

He identified two major problems including students not knowing what they need and want to certify in as well as making uncertified students feel safe and comfortable on campus.

More specifically, he said a problem was there was few advisers with hundreds of students who weren’t getting the time and attention they needed.

He said he plans to reach out to students through tabling to understand what they need and want.

Funding was also approved for an event hosted by Coalition for Women Students and the annual Homecoming bonfire.

Coalition for Women Students Chair Elsie Cree was approved for $3,500 to pay for a portion of an event featuring speaker Benjamin O’Keefe.

After discussion of whether or not they would fund a photographer, ASWSU decided to fully fund the requested amount for the Student Student alumni ambassadors’ annual bonfire the night before Homecoming.

During the public comment portion of the meeting, College of Republicans Vice President Nathan Hansberry asked ASWSU to avoid supporting demands made at the student sit-in in August. He asked ASWSU to avoid supporting cultural training in order to save students who didn’t want to partake, money and time.

He also said that though he supports faculty of color, he doesn’t support the demand asking for more faculty of color, as it might put diversity over skill in hiring processes.

He also addressed their request for the university to provide feminine products.

“If you cannot pay for your own feminine products,” he said, “I would strongly suggest you check your financial status.”