Hicks, Jackson shine at Wazzu Pro Day

12 Cougs test, 29 teams watch
Brennan+Jackson+at+midfield+as+the+Cougs+lose+the+coin+toss%2C+Nov.+25%2C+in+Seattle%2C+Wash.+
Brennan Jackson at midfield as the Cougs lose the coin toss, Nov. 25, in Seattle, Wash.

WSU football held its Pro Day at the University of Idaho on March 28, where Cougs displayed their skills in front of critics, hoping to earn a spot at the professional level. 

A successful Pro Day is vital to a rising draft stock, and the Cougars seized the moment.

Jaden Hicks ran the 40-yard dash for the first time, clocking a  4.48, Brennan Jackson put up 26 reps on the bench and Ron Stone Jr. ran a 4.68 40 in front of 29 NFL representatives, under the roof of the P1FCU Kibbie Dome.

The 40 time from Hicks would have tied for seventh amongst all safeties at the combine, a remarkable feat for a 211-pound strong safety.

Jackson improved his previous bench total by five reps, which would have tied for second amongst all defensive ends in Indianapolis. 

Nine other Cougs participated in the pro day, which included offensive lineman Christy Nkanu, long snapper Simon Samarzich, kicker Colton Theaker, running back Nakia Watson, wide receiver Lincoln Victor, linebacker Devin Richardson and defensive backs Cam Lampkin, Sam Lockett and Chau Smith-Wade.

“It’s everything you dream of as a kid to be out here and be with your brothers doing this kind of stuff, obviously there’s the stress of it being Pro Day and there’s eyes on you, but we thrive in that. That’s what football is,” Jackson said about the day. 

The University of Idaho football program held its Pro Day on Wednesday as well, accompanied by the Eastern Washington and Central Washington football programs. 

It was a reunion of sorts for WSU head coach, Jake Dickert and University of Idaho head coach, Jason Eck, as the two coached together previously at South Dakota State.

The WSU football program started spring practices on March 26, with the Crimson and Gray game set for April 27.