Man sentenced for WSU robbery

Vancouver resident’s sentence reduced from four years to a year and a day
DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Vancouver resident RJ William was sentenced to a year and a day in prison and a year and a half of probation on April 12 for his part in a robbery on WSU’s campus in July.

William was convicted of first-degree robbery and first-degree theft in Whitman County Superior Court in October 2023, according to Yahoo News. William was one of three men who took part in the robbery including Frank Rodriguez and Robert Garcia.

Garcia, Rodriguez and William stole four phones and a guitar from a group of five men, according to court records. William struck one of the men in the face before the three fled with the stolen items. The property has not been recovered.

During the sentencing, William apologized and said he would never do something like that again, according to Yahoo News.

Whitman County Judge Gary Libey said William lacked maturity and a sense of responsibility at the time of the crime and believed William was sincere in his apology and remorse.

Libey said he originally planned to sentence William to four years in prison, but William’s and his family’s testimonies made him reconsider.