Thummel’s hidden gems of the 2024 NFL Draft

Five players who will surprise fans

Jaheim Bell, Tight End/ H-Back, Florida State – 6 feet 2 inches, 241 pounds.

Jaheim Bell is one of the most versatile players in this draft and could be layered extremely well within an NFL offense with his speed. 

Bell is undersized for a tight end at 6 feet 2 inches, but clocked a 4.61-second 40-yard dash at the combine, showing great burst. 

Bell had a decent season statistically, hauling in 39 balls for 503 yards and two touchdowns. 

I have Bell going on day three, but teams could certainly gain interest in him at a higher point as the draft progresses. 

Easton Gibbs, Linebacker, Wyoming – 6 feet, 232 pounds. 

Gibbs had 100 tackles in each of his last two seasons with Wyoming, concluding his college career with a total of 358 tackles.

Gibbs also had 22 tackles for loss and seven sacks, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries and was one of the best group of five linebackers last season and was a sure tackler. 

Gibbs will likely fall in the sixth or seventh round and could end up as an undrafted free agent

Jaden Hicks, Safety, Washington State – 6 feet 3 inches, 212 pounds.

Hicks had 75 tackles, two interceptions and 2.5 sacks for the Cougars and was an Honorable Mention All-Pac 12 choice and was flying around and making plays all season with the best of them for Wazzu. While Hicks is a fellow Coug, his upside is tremendous and lots of scouts agree. 

Hicks could fall from anywhere in round three to round seven but will go sooner rather than later. 

Kimani Vidal, Running Back, Troy – 5 feet, 8 inches, 213 pounds.

As a shorter, stockier running back, Vidal has a solid build for the NFL. 

Last season, Vidal won the Sun Belt Conference Offensive Player of the Year and earned a third-team All-American selection. 

Vidal broke the Troy school record for rushing in a single season with 1,661 yards. 

Vidal also leaves Troy as the all-time leading rusher, boasting an impressive total of 4,010 yards, showing his resume as a workhorse back. 

Vidal could go anywhere in day three. 

Hayden Hatten, Wide Receiver, Idaho – 6 feet, 1 inch, 209 pounds.

During his time at Idaho, Hatten broke the program’s record for career-receiving touchdowns with an impressive total of 33.

Hatten also finished second place in the program’s all-time rankings for receiving yards, amassing an impressive 3,449 yards, and receptions, hauling in 244 passes throughout his career.

Hatten is a big-bodied wideout who could be a solid seventh-round option or undrafted free agent. 

Hatten looks to be the first Vandal selected in the NFL draft since Kaden Elliss in 2019.