Behind the Press: Uncovering the Sex Edition

The Sex Edition allows Evergreeners to experiment with the edgier side of journalism

KIERA CLUBB | The Daily Evergreen

Editor-in-chief Gabriella Ramos and photo editor Teva Mayer edit the Sex Edition cover Thursday.

GABRIELLA RAMOS and MADISON JACKSON

Once a semester, things take a turn in the newsroom. We break our hard news facade to present the bi-annual Sex Edition. With the Sex Edition comes many laughs and a lot of uncomfortable conversations, as we sort through topics of sexual activity and relationships to determine their relevance to our most immediate audience: college students.

The Sex Edition is notorious for pushing boundaries and giving our writers an opportunity to experience the edgier side of journalism. In the past (and present), our content has received some flak from concerned parents, but we’re all adults here, right? As journalists, we sometimes find ourselves covering uncomfortable topics or controversial talking points, but we have a duty to deliver information to the public. Besides, we party in the same college town as all of you and can personally vouch that our fellow Cougs need some sexucation. And if you’re thinking you don’t, you may want to reconsider.

KIERA CLUBB | The Daily Evergreen
Managing editor Madison Jackson leads the daily budget meeting Wednesday.

We basically had two options for the date of the Sex Edition, either Oct. 27, Halloweekend, or Oct. 13. This semester we chose “Uncovering Sex Superstitions” as our theme because Jason isn’t afraid of sex. Not that Satan is, but Jason, and his mom, target the camp counselors after and during sex. Basically, sex is Jason’s call-to-arms. And the reason he died. Anyways, this was a perfect opportunity to have a spooky/superstitious Friday the 13th in October.

Of course, we had to refine this spectacular idea a little bit more than “Jason kills you after sex.” In this issue, it was our mission to debunk and confirm outlandish intercourse assumptions, in addition to addressing generalizations and stereotypes that have to do with sexuality and romantic relationships. We decided to be a little less spooky and a little more superstitious, just to open up the story possibilities. It all fell into place when the phrase “sexy superstitions” fit to the tune of Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition.” Try it. It fits pretty well.

After identifying our topic, editor-in-chief Gabriella Ramos and managing editor Madison Jackson sat down together to construct a list of superstitions we have heard relating to sexual acts. Following an hour of brainstorming and questioning our sanity, we were closer than ever, leaving with a well-rounded list of about 20 superstitions and misconceptions. We laughed quite a bit, and went off in tangents a few times. They may or may not have stemmed from our own experiences, which warranted ridiculous explanations and hearty laughter.

We presented these ideas to our staff the following Sunday, at which point we opened the floor for their ideas. During our all-staff meeting, we heard an additional 10 to 15 story pitches, and reporters and columnists chose the stories that interested them. Some people were afraid to speak up, and some wouldn’t shut up. We all react to awkwardness differently. It definitely got a little rambunkshus.

KIERA CLUBB | The Daily Evergreen
News editor Rebecca White reads through an article with reporter Jonathan Villanueva on Wednesday.

At this point, we are not allowed to question each other based on the stories we picked up. We had to sit and ponder the weirdness that had just unfolded. Assigning stories for the Sex Edition is a bonding experience, to say the least. Reporters have to come to grips with the bizarre questions they will have to ask their sources and the potential awkwardness this will entail. And photographers find themselves repenting for their visions for potential photo illustrations they will have to create. Section editors had to answer questions, explain and approve reporters’, columnists’ and photogs’ ideas.

The Sex Edition is a chance for us to not take ourselves so seriously. The daily news cycle doesn’t always allow us to spend weeks on a project, but the Sex Edition is one of the few occasions that we can. Or plan to. Like all students, we procrastinate, stay up all night to finish homework and stay in all weekend. We just also happen to run a newspaper.