Students promote peace

New club marched to encourage student voices, understanding

MICHAEL LINDER | The Daily Evergreen

michael linder | the daily evergreen President of WSU ACLU, Rachel Oliver, leads a march against racial inequality Wednesday on the Glenn Terrell Friendship Mall.

KATIE SHADLER, Evergreen reporter

Members of American Civil Liberties Union of WSU marched around campus Wednesday afternoon in support of racial justice in response to discrimination against different groups across the country.

Though the WSU administration has put various statements out in regards to racial issues that have occurred, WSU ACLU President Rachel Oliver said that the administration can’t speak on behalf of students.

“Students speak on behalf of students,” she said.

She said WSU ACLU is a nonpartisan group and recognizes events in both the Trump and Obama administration such as the Dakota Pipeline issue as adding to racial injustices. She said ACLU of WSU wanted to show that they stand for all people.

“That’s what we stand for,” she said, “what we believe in.”

Though only about five people attended, with the Dean of Students Kathy MacKay and Student Regent Alyssa Norris stopped by in support, the club’s adviser Patricia Glazebrook called it a successful event when she addressed the club afterward.

“Education is a field,” she said. “You have to plant it…Today, you have planted a seed and over the next months you’re going to water it and soon enough there will be a field.”

In general, Oliver said they wanted to join in on the conversation on racial injustice by spreading inclusion and supporting those dealing most with this issue.

Club member Shannon Emmons said in addition to helping members pursue law school, they supported this issue and equality as a whole when they founded the club this past spring.

“WSU should be more welcoming to students of color,” she said.

Another member Ashley Hailey, who is also pursuing law school, said this event, their first as a club, was planned in part to get the word out for the club but also to spread the support of equality for all.

“Fight hate speech with love speech,” she said.