30 new bike racks coming to campus

DEENA MIGLIAZZO, Evergreen reporter

Starting this spring, WSU Transportation Services will add or replace about 30 bike racks around campus.

All of the bike racks will be heavier duty, with some mounted on walls and some covered to protect bikes from the elements. A few of the new racks will be located around Sloan Hall and Dana Hall, with an increase of about 40 percent more bike racks, said Brent Atkinson, transportation demand management coordinator of Transportation Services. Behind Dana Hall, Transportation Services will add new wall-mounted bike racks.

Owens Library will also be receiving new racks under the sky walk and on the eastside of the building. The eastside of Owens Library will be receiving 25 covered bike racks.

Along with the new and improved bike racks, Transportation Services will launch their new educational campaign, “Find Your Way on Crimson and Gray” as part of the Transportation Options program. The purpose of this campaign is to promote Pullman Transit Express route services, giving students another option to travel to campus.

Many students and faculty are unaware that they can ride the transit system for free with their Cougar Card, Atkinson said. The Transportation Services will be placing promotional advertisement flyers around campus and at each bus stop in hopes of helping students and faculty understand the transit system.

The new signage will better explain each route with a detail map at each bus stop, making it easy for students to use the transportation system, Atkinson said.

Another tool for students to use, is the “Where’s my Bus” module located on the Pullman Transit website. Riders are able to track the exact location of their bus to have a more precise time of arrival.