ASWSU discusses funding, social media

Senate voted down one request, approved second for African Friendship Association

OLIVER McKENNA | The Daily Evergreen

Malik Dreher, president of Black Men Making a Difference, expresses grievances over a post made on Facebook by Sen. Ruth-Fiam Nord that he perceived as racially insensitive.

TAYLOR CARNESS, Evergreen reporter

ASWSU and guest speakers discussed social media conduct of senators, as well as funding for the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu club and the African Friendship Association’s events during their regular Wednesday meeting.

During the public testimony of the meeting, Malik Dreher, president of Black Men Making a Difference, brought up an issue he had with a seemingly racist Facebook post referencing Black Friday written by the College of Arts and Sciences Sen. Ruth Fiam Nord.

He said that he felt as though with this representation of ASWSU on social media it is implying that they are not supporting that section of the student body.

“If the Senate as a whole does not do something you will have a problem on your hands,” Dreher said.

African Friendship Association also requested funds for their “African Night:  Liberating Identities Through United Fronts” event.

AFA President Chinaza Nwokike said the event’s purpose is to promote friendship among African students and bring Pullman together. The event has been successful, bringing in between 400 and 500 students and parents for the past seven years, Nwokike said.

Previously, the group requested $4,000 from ASWSU, but were given $2,000. In previous years, AFA has had their catering and venue funded, coming to a total of $4,000. But, because they will be charging admission at the event, the organization would be taking in a revenue, making it a fundraiser, which ASWSU cannot fully fund.

ASWSU approved an increase of their funding by $129.05, which is what they needed to fund the remaining portion of their venue.

Shane McFarland, president of the Jiu- Jitsu club, presented his request to fund a guest Jui-Jitsu black belt performer to come to campus the weekend before finals.

Last Thursday, the finance committee voted to deny this group on the basis of cost per WSU student, as well as the club’s intent to charge admission to undergraduate students. The club’s second request did not include admission and was for $2,460.

All Campus Sen. Savannah Rogers moved to deny the motion, but it was not unanimous. The committee went on to discuss the benefits that WSU students would receive through funding this event.

“It’s very educational and it’s sort of a new group on campus and their trying to use this…to bring in more people,” All Campus Sen. James Dalton said.

Ultimately, the committee decided the cost of the event was not warranted due to the number of students the club estimated would attend the event.

“More should be done on this event before we fund it,” Rogers said.

The motion was denied with 16 in favor, one abstained and none opposed.