Cougar swim takes on Arizona State

WSU has three meets left before heading to Pac-12 Championships

Then-Arizona sophomore freestyle swimmer Hannah Cox pulls ahead in the women’s 400 meter Individual Medley to finish first place on Oct. 14, 2017 at the Gibb Pool.

RYAN PUGH | Daily Evergreen file

RYAN PUGH | Daily Evergreen file

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen reporter

WSU Swimming will have its first conference meet since October this Saturday against Arizona State University.

The Cougars have three regular meets left this season. After that, they will head to Federal Way for the Pac-12 Swimming and Diving Championships.

WSU junior backstroke and butterfly swimmer Jasmine Margetts said the team is focused on improving and getting back in the pool.

“Just try to go out there and win the most races,” Margetts said. “We just got done with training camp, so we’re seeing where we are and then getting ready for [Pac-12 championships].”

The Cougars haven’t been in the pool to face an opponent since November, but the team recently completed a winter break training camp in Delray Beach, Florida. Head Coach Tom Jager said they faced unexpected cold weather in Florida, but it didn’t interfere with practices.

“We did a boot camp every morning on the beach. It was 39 degrees on the beach,” Jager said. “There was two days where the heater broke in the pool, it was really cold, and my kids, you would have never known [it], and you know they’re proud of that.”

Before the break, WSU (2-3, 0-3) competed in the Ohio State Invitational. The team finished ninth and set six top-10 times for WSU, highlighted by freshman Taylor McCoy’s fourth-fastest time in program history in the 200-meter backstroke.

“We had the best meet in Ohio State since I’ve been coaching here,” Jager said. “They were swimming against great swimmers and they stood up to it and so that was pretty cool.”

Arizona State (3-1, 2-1) has yet to swim in a conference match outside their home pool. Gibb Pool will be their first of three straight matches on the road. WSU has two home meets left, including their facedown against ASU. The last time the two teams met was in 2015, where the Cougars walked away with the victory.

Jager said he is excited to watch his breaststrokers compete Saturday. He said that they started the season off slow, but they have improved a lot and swam especially strong in the Ohio State Invitational. Jager also said that the 200-yard freestyle will be exciting because freshman freestyle swimmer Alba Forés is performing well.

“We’re so happy to be back in Gibb Pool. There’s nothing like being home, and being in your pool, your environment,” Jager said. “It showed up last night. We probably had one of our best workouts of the season. We were flying last night.”

WSU will face Arizona State beginning at 11 a.m. Saturday in Gibb Pool. The meet will be streamed online on Pac-12 Networks.

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen sports editor

Ryan Mosher is a sophomore multimedia journalism production major from Edmonds, and the fall 2018 sports editor. He joined the Evergreen in fall 2017 as a freshman reporter. He studies journalism out of a passion for storytelling. After graduating he hopes to serve in the U.S. Coast Guard. He can be reached at [email protected] or (509) 335-1140.

• Cougar swim takes on Arizona State

Sports

Cougar swim team will face neighboring Vandals on Saturday

• Cougar swim takes on Arizona State

A late start, but a Sweet finish

• Cougar swim takes on Arizona State

Mens

WSU baseball hosts second scrimmage of fall semester Sunday

• Cougar swim takes on Arizona State

Crime

Pullman responders brace for GameDay festivities

• Cougar swim takes on Arizona State

No. 23 Cougs face two ranked opponents at home

• Cougar swim takes on Arizona State

ESPN highlights Cougs vs. Ducks

• Cougar swim takes on Arizona State

No. 22 Cougars take on Sun Devils

• Cougar swim takes on Arizona State

Sports

Women’s Cougar golf heads to California for tourney

• Cougar swim takes on Arizona State

College GameDay has arrived

• Cougar swim takes on Arizona State

Mission accomplished: Now the tradition continues

Cougar swim takes on Arizona State