Sun Devils sink Cougars

WSU won previous two meetings with Arizona State in 2014 and 2015

Freshman butterfly and freestyle swimmer Kelly Morgan swims in the 50 meter freestyle Saturday against Arizona State at Gibb Pool.

GEORGE RODRIGUEZ | The Daily Evergreen

GEORGE RODRIGUEZ | The Daily Evergreen

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen reporter

WSU swimming lost to Arizona State University 177-83 in Gibb Pool on Saturday. WSU had won the previous two meetings in 2015 and 2014.

The Cougars are now 0-4 in conference play. This meet was WSU’s first home meet of the semester and ASU’s first conference meet on the road.

“We swam well. This is called sports, and we’ve smacked them a few times and they want to smack us back, but I think we’re still in the battle, I think we’re still racing,” Head Coach Tom Jager said. “We’ll be better, we’ll be good, I trust my Cougs.”

WSU won two races in the meet, the first being the 200-meter butterfly in which junior backstroke and butterfly swimmer Jasmine Margetts took first place with a nearly three second lead. The Cougars also took first in the 400-meter freestyle relay,  courtesy of the relay A-team, followed in second place by the WSU relay B-team.

Margetts placed top-five in four races and Jager said he was impressed with her performance.

“Jasmine’s a great swimmer. I’m glad she represents Washington State,” Jager said.

The meet started with a 200-yard medley relay, where the Cougs’ three relay teams, A, B and C, took second, fourth and fifth respectively. Relay team A was only 26 milliseconds behind Arizona’s relay A team.

Jager said his favorite race to watch in the meet was the 200-meter freestyle.

“The 200 free, we might not have won it but that’s a damn good race,” Jager said. “They took it right to em’ and they swam it like they were supposed to … the 200 free was a great race.”

Jager said the performance of freshman freestyle swimmer Alba Forés stood out on a day when the Cougars fell short. Forés took second place in the 200-meter freestyle and the 100-meter freestyle.

Jager was thankful for the support of the fans in Gibb Pool, and said the atmosphere they contribute is valuable to the team.

“It’s always great to swim in front of our fans, they love it,” Jager said. “They get rowdy and it helps our kids so I’m glad they all came here.”

WSU swimming returns to the pool 5 p.m. Jan. 26th in Gibb Pool when the team hosts Oregon State University. This will be the last home meet of the season for the Cougars, before they head off to University of Utah and then the Pac-12 Championships in February.

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen sports editor

Ryan Mosher is a sophomore multimedia journalism production major from Edmonds, and the fall 2018 sports editor. He joined the Evergreen in fall 2017 as a freshman reporter. He studies journalism out of a passion for storytelling. After graduating he hopes to serve in the U.S. Coast Guard. He can be reached at [email protected] or (509) 335-1140.

• Sun Devils sink Cougars

Sports

Cougar swim team will face neighboring Vandals on Saturday

• Sun Devils sink Cougars

A late start, but a Sweet finish

• Sun Devils sink Cougars

Mens

WSU baseball hosts second scrimmage of fall semester Sunday

• Sun Devils sink Cougars

Crime

Pullman responders brace for GameDay festivities

• Sun Devils sink Cougars

No. 23 Cougs face two ranked opponents at home

• Sun Devils sink Cougars

ESPN highlights Cougs vs. Ducks

• Sun Devils sink Cougars

No. 22 Cougars take on Sun Devils

• Sun Devils sink Cougars

Sports

Women’s Cougar golf heads to California for tourney

• Sun Devils sink Cougars

College GameDay has arrived

• Sun Devils sink Cougars

Mission accomplished: Now the tradition continues

Sun Devils sink Cougars