Rough shooting night leads to loss in Seattle

Cougars shot 19.4 percent from field, scored 15 points in first half against Huskies

Chanelle+Molina+dribbles+down+the+court+during+the+UW+matchup+Sunday+at+Alaska+Airlines+arena.+

ETHAN UEHARA | THE DAILY UW

Chanelle Molina dribbles down the court during the UW matchup Sunday at Alaska Airlines arena.

AVERY COOPER, Evergreen reporter

WSU women’s basketball lost to its rival University of Washington in Seattle on Sunday 56-49. The Cougars were going for a season sweep of the Huskies after beating UW on Wednesday night in Pullman.

Cougar sophomore guard Chanelle Molina led WSU in scoring with 17 points, including three made field goals from behind the three-point line. Sophomore forward Kayla Washington was the only other Cougar that hit double-digit scoring with 10.

Huskies redshirt junior forward Hannah Johnson reached a double-double toward the end of the third quarter on a jump-shot. Johnson would finish with 13 points and 17 rebounds.

Sophomore guard Amber Melgoza led the Huskies in point production with 14. UW had a third player in double-digit scoring, senior guard Jenna Moser, who finished the night with 10 points.

UW jumped out to an early 16-4 lead with 2:37 remaining in the first quarter and did not look back. The Huskies would lead by a score of 20-6 at the end of the first quarter. UW led for 39 out of the 40 minutes in the game.

WSU was able to reach double digits in points in the second quarter after a jump-shot from senior guard Caila Haley. The score cut the Huskies lead to 13 points.

A layup by Washington, a score by UW, and a consecutive layup by Washington narrowed the lead to 11.

Johnson then sunk a layup and drew a foul with 1:34 remaining in the first half. Johnson would sink the free throw to convert the three-point play, sparking an 8-0 run to close the half at 32-15 UW.

WSU shot a bleak 19.4 percent from the field in the first half while UW converted 41.4 percent of its shots. The Cougars had 12 turnovers and the Huskies had eight in the half.

Entering the third quarter, UW would gain their largest lead of the game after a jump-shot by Melgoza put the Huskies ahead by 19 points. The Cougars were able to narrow the lead to 13 by the end of the third quarter.

The Huskies kept the lead within that range for the first part of the fourth quarter, but the Cougars were able to go on a 13-2 run to narrow the lead to three by a score of 52-49.

UW sophomore forward Mai-Loni Henson hit a jump-shot with 46 seconds remaining in the game to push the Huskies led to five. The Cougars had a chance to respond, but a missed three-pointer by Chanelle Molina gave the ball back to the Huskies.

UW would call a timeout with 35 seconds remaining, and Molina would intentionally foul Melgoza to try to extend the game. Melgoza, who is top-10 in the Pac-12 in free throw percentage, would hit both free-throw attempts to seal the win for the Huskies.

WSU Associate Head Coach Mike Daugherty said the team played well in the final frame, but needed to play like that the whole game.

“We got going in the fourth quarter, but it was too late,” Daugherty said. “We have to be tough, but I don’t believe we were tough enough.”

WSU will return home to take on University of Southern California 7 p.m. Friday at Beasley Coliseum.