Tennis claims three road wins to stay undefeated

Cougars improve to 3-0 despite losing first singles, doubles matches

EZEKIEL NELSON | Daily Evergreen File

WSU senior Barbora Michalkova gets ready to return a shot against Montana State on Jan. 20 at the Hollingberry Fieldhouse.

AVERY COOPER, Evergreen reporter

WSU tennis swept University of Montana 7-0 in two separate matches Friday.

In the first set of doubles matches, senior Barbora Michalkova and sophomore Melisa Ates defeated Montana’s freshman Bianca Bostrom and senior Cam Kincaid 5-2.

The second consecutive win came from WSU sophomore Guzal Yusupova and junior Tiffany Mylonas. They defeated Grizzlies freshman Julia Ronney and junior Nathalie Joanlanne 6-1.

WSU freshman Michaela Bayerlova and junior Aneta Miksovska then beat Montana senior Catherine Orfanos and freshman Eimear Maher to complete the doubles sweep.

Following doubles, the Cougars went 6-0 in singles play with Ates, Bayerlova, Michalkova, Miksovska, Mylonas and Yusupova all claiming victories over the Grizzlies.

Both teams took a break, and resumed action at 3 p.m. The Cougars were able to go seven matches to zero again. The teams would first face off in doubles, where WSU won all three. Then the Cougars swept the singles matches to leave the day with two 7-0 victories.

WSU Head Coach Lisa Hart said her team performed at their highest level Friday and immediately shifted their focus to their next match against University of Iowa on Sunday.

“I was impressed with our competitive spirit today. We executed well throughout the doubles and singles lineups,” Hart said in a WSU news release after defeating Montana. “We are excited about the test and opportunity Iowa will present on Sunday.”

The Cougars stayed in Missoula, Montana, to face their first challenge of the 2018 season against Iowa.

WSU was able to take two out of the three doubles matchups against Iowa and went four and two in singles, giving them a 5-2 victory over the Hawkeyes.

This was the first match this year that the Cougars didn’t sweep their opponents. With a win against Iowa, WSU improved to 5-0 on the season.

“I’m proud of the way our team found a way to win today.  Iowa is a well-coached team and I was impressed with their fighting spirit,” Hart said in the release. “We will enjoy this win today and starting tomorrow we will begin preparing for Purdue next Saturday.”

After a successful road trip, WSU will return home to face Purdue University at noon Saturday at the Simmelink Courts at Hollingbery Fieldhouse.