Performing Arts partners to present MictlanRx

First 100 WSU students will be admitted to performance for free

MICHAEL LINDER | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Performing Arts Director Gail Siegel talks about the performance of MictlanRx by the Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Company.

RACHEL KOCH, Evergreen reporter

WSU Performing Arts will team up with University of Idaho’s Festival Dance Academy for the last time in hosting a performance by dancers from the Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Company.

Performing Arts Director Gail Siegel said Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Company is a nationally-renowned African-American dance troupe based in Colorado.

The group will be performing MictlanRx, a dance based on the history of the Mexican and African cultures and will feature a donkey’s jawbone, as seen on the event’s poster outside Daggy Hall.

“It was selected because of its rich performance and because of the cultural overlay of the program,” Siegel said.

Courtesy of Gail Siegel
Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Co. will use donkey jawbones.

She described the performance of MictlanRx as storytelling through dance, as it focuses on the stories, struggles and cultural significance of the Afro-Mexican indigenous populations.

“I think people will experience this performance on many levels: a visual level, the audio level, the contextual level and learn about a culture that they may not know anything about,” Siegel said, “so it has that educational component there as well.”

She also explained that collaboration between WSU Performing Arts and University of Idaho’s Festival Dance Academy has funded events that neither could afford on their own.

MictlanRx will take place from 7:30 – 9:30 p.m. Saturday in Daggy Hall.

Tickets, which are available through TicketsWest, cost $22 for adults, $18 for non-WSU students and $16 for youth.

The first 100 WSU students to purchase a ticket will receive their tickets for free. These students may pick up their tickets at Beasley Coliseum if they bring valid Cougar Card.