First round exit ends season

Both teams shot a bleak 31 percent from the field, Cougars allowed Trojans to score 32 points in paint

WSU sophomore forward Kayla Washington attempts to keep the ball away from California senior guard Mikayla Cowling during a game on Feb. 23 at Beasley Coliseum. WSU lost 67-54.

GEORGE RODRIGUEZ | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

GEORGE RODRIGUEZ | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

AVERY COOPER, Evergreen reporter

As the buzzer sounded in Seattle on Thursday to signal the end of the game, it also signaled the end of the WSU women’s basketball season. The Cougars fell to University of Southern California 47-44 in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament.

Two Trojans finished in double-digit scoring. USC sophomore guard Minyon Moore led the game in points, collecting 16 while making six of her 11 shots. Junior guard Aliyah Mazyck had 14 points and made six of her 19 attempted shots.

WSU redshirt junior forward Nike McClure led the Cougars in scoring with 12 points, completing four of her 10 shots. She also had three blocks in the game.

It was a back-and-forth affair. The matchup featured eight ties and 11 lead changes. USC led the game for just over 21 minutes.

The Cougars were able to jump out to a 7-6 lead in the first quarter. Neither team shot the ball efficiently in the opening quarter. WSU made just two of its 15 shots, while USC made just three of 11.

USC was able to respond from the first quarter deficit by outscoring WSU 12-9 in the second quarter to take an 18-16 lead into halftime.

The Trojans extended their lead to 35-31 heading into the fourth quarter.

A McClure layup and a foul that sent her to the line for a three-point play narrowed the Trojans’ lead to 44-41 with 3:10 remaining

Scoring came at a minimum from there. A foul sent USC senior guard Sadie Edwards to the free-throw line where she converted on one of her two opportunities to make the score 45-41 with 1:04 remaining.

However, the Cougars weren’t finished. McClure converted another three-point play to shrink USC’s lead to 45-44.

WSU needed a stop and got one after Edwards missed a jumper, but Mazyck was able to collect the offensive rebound with seconds remaining in the game, sealing the win for the Trojans and effectively ending the Cougars’ season.

• First round exit ends season

Nuthouse provides comedy, improv to Pullman

• First round exit ends season

BPA alternatives are also harmful, researcher says

• First round exit ends season

Newbie’s guide to puppy-handling

• First round exit ends season

Cougs down Grizzlies

• First round exit ends season

Haro kicks off final year at WSU

• First round exit ends season

‘Believe in something, because it may save your career’

• First round exit ends season

Cougars face Eastern Eagles

• First round exit ends season

Vehicles for injured players to be donated

• First round exit ends season

Leaf shares story with WSU athletes

• First round exit ends season

Event commemorates principal WSU members

First round exit ends season