Track and field sends limited number of athletes to Spokane

ABBY LINNENKOHL | The Daily Evergreen

Weight and hammer thrower Brock Eager competes Feb. 3 at the WSU Indoor Open in the Indoor Practice Facility.

AVERY COOPER, Evergreen reporter

WSU track and field will send a small group of athletes to compete in the 13th annual Whitworth Sam Adams Classic on Thursday and Friday in Spokane.

Other schools competing include Gonzaga University, University of Idaho and Eastern Washington University.

The Cougars will send a limited number of athletes to the event to test them and prepare for events further along in the season.

The men’s weight throwers will send five athletes to the meet: redshirt juniors Brock Eager and Amani Brown and redshirt seniors Tyler Jackson, Wyatt Meyring and Brad Stevens.

For the women’s throwers, sophomore Stacia Bell, freshman Calahan Crawford, redshirt sophomore Aoife Martin and redshirt freshman Lovely Tukuafu will compete. Junior Chrisshnay Brown will compete in the women’s shot put and discus events.

Redshirt sophomore Drew Norvell and redshirt freshman Alec Kuzmack will both compete in the men’s discus and shot put.

The men will take part in the 1500 meter run with redshirt sophomore Nathan Tadesse. In addition, freshmen distance runners Zak Kindl and Luke Schilter will compete in the 5000 meter run.

On the women’s side, the Cougars will send junior Jenaya Pynn and redshirt sophomore Breya Wynne to compete in the 800. Four athletes will compete in the women’s 5000 meter: junior Katherine Dittmann, sophomore Melissa Hruska, freshman Samantha King-Shaw and redshirt freshman Alexis Redfield.

The Cougars will begin competition at 3:30 p.m. Thursday and continue into Friday.